Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 9. — The Chief Commissioner to the Hon. the Native Minister

No. 9.
The Chief Commissioner to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Wairarapa.—Recommending that Mr. Commissioner Cooper be appointed to arrange about the Payment of the Five-per-Cents. Port Napier, 31st December, 1862.

Sir,—

I have the honour to request that an authority may be granted to send Mr. Cooper to the Wairarapa, to arrange with the Natives for the settlement of the moneys due to them as 5-per-cents. The Wairarapa having formed part of Mr. Cooper's district as Land Purchase Commissioner, I conclude that he is well qualified to undertake the duties. The first step to be taken is to ascertain the quantity of land sold out of blocks subject to the 5-per-cents, and it may be more convenient, in cases where the whole block is not disposed of, to pay the Natives a fixed amount for any future claims they may have under this head. It is probable I may meet the Superintendent of Wellington, in a few days to discuss this and other questions connected with the purchase of land.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

The Hon. the Minister for Native Affairs.