Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 89. — Mr. Commissioner Swainson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 45

No. 89.
Mr. Commissioner Swainson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Land at Porirua to be brought under "The New Zealand Native Reserves Act, 1856." Native Reserves Office, Wellington, 17th November, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honour to enclose a certificate and report for adoption by His Excellency the Governor in Council, that I have ascertained that certain Natives, owners of a portion of land excepted from sale (clause 14, "Native Reserves Act, 1856"), have assented that it should be brought under the provisions of the Act. There is no provision made that such assent should be given by them in writing, but they willingly complied with my request that such should be done. The land is a portion of a large block excepted in Mr. Spain's decision on the New Zealand Company's purchases, and can be most advantageously let for their benefit if removed from the jurisdiction and penalties of the Native Land Purchase Ordinance.

The intentions and working of the Native Reserves Acts are so little understood by the Natives that I am preparing an analysis and compendium of them in Maori, which I trust, after submitting to the Government, I may be authorized to have printed. The cost of such for the use of the district would not, I think, exceed £10 or £15, which I should propose to defray from the Native Reserve Fund, leaving it, of course, for the Government to order any extra number of copies for the use of other districts they saw fit to do.

I have, &c.,

George F. Swainson,
Commissioner of Native Reserves.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Native Department.