Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Resident Magistrate, Central Whanganui, to the Hon. the Native Minister

The Resident Magistrate, Central Whanganui, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Native Eel-weirs for Sale. Courthouse, Central Whanganui, 28th April, 1863.

Sir,—

In compliance with a minute of the Native Minister, dated 8th November, 1862, on letter from D. S. Drurie, R.M., dated 30th June, 1862, respecting the eel and inanga weirs in the District of Okiu, on the Mataraua Stream and its tributaries, I have the honour to report that I proceeded on the 13th March, in company with the chiefs Tamati Puna Pehira and Hoani Wiremu Hipongo, to get all the information I could respecting these fisheries. I would state that, on the day previous to my being there, some one (supposed to be a European) set fire to and burnt one of the principal weirs in that locality, which at the time nearly put an end to further negotiation. However, I beg to state the number and names of nearly the whole of the eel and inanga weirs, most of which were seen by me—namely: (1) Wharetahi, (2) Otapiri, (3) Oti, (4) Waihirereiti, (5) Waihirerenui, (6) Te Houhi, (7) Aratawa, (8) Ngawarua, (9) Okurangatai, (10) Puhikanui, (11) Mangapaiari, (12) Ta Kahakaha, (13) Te Pakiaka, (14) Katikatea, (15) Te Piri-o-Hema, (16) Tatai-o-te-Matau, (17) Te Rere I., (18) Te Rere II., (19) Pirinoa, (20), Putataua, (21) Maraeroa, (22) Tutumapou, (23) Whangairiro, (24) Okahukura, (25) Rotokopu, (26) Kairepa, (27) Kahukatia, (28) Whareatua, (29) Kaitara, (30) Maeanui, (31) Tanga-a-te-Kahoroiwi, (32) Waikamate, (33) Te Poroporo, (34) Tuhi-a-te-Rerewha, (35) Te Awahurie, (36) Moturautawhiri, (37) Makakahi, (38) Te Uri-a-te-Wharemoa, (39) Korakonui, (40) Otarawairua. These forty weirs are in the main stream of the Mataraua.

The following are in the tributaries, principally the Mangamouku Creek—namely: (41) Matakanohi I., (42) Matakanohi II., (43) Puharawhara, (44) Te Kupenga, (45) Mangamutu, (46) Arapakiaka, (47) Te Kopua, (48) Te Parapara, (49) Kohikohitawa, (50) Te Ngarukaiwaka, (51) Mata Herepuru, (52) Kohukohu, (53) Maraua, (54) Takanga-o-Ngatai, (55) Te Mata, (56) Te Kaiwhata—which are now offered by the owners of these fisheries for the sum of £200.

I would state that these are all the fisheries owned by the Natives on the above-named stream and its tributaries, but I do not recommend the above sum, leaving to the Government to state what sum will be given.

I have, &c.,

John White R.M.,
Central Whanganui.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Auckland.