Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Reports of Proposed Cession of a Piece of Land for Resident Magistrate's Residence

Reports of Proposed Cession of a Piece of Land for Resident Magistrate's Residence.

Waiapu.Proposed Cession of Land for Magistrate's Residence. Auckland, 9th January, 1862.

Sir,—

The Natives of the Waipu District having offered to cede a piece of land (estimated to contain from fifteen to twenty acres) to the Crown, as the site for the residence of the Magistrate, I have the honour to request that I may be informed what steps are to be taken in order to the execution of the necessary deed of cession. The Natives of Tokomaru offered a site for the same purpose during my recent visit, or rather, I should say, expressed their willingness to do so in case any difficulty was experienced at Waiapu in procuring one.

Under these circumstances, and anticipating the location at some future time of a Magistrate within the Tokomaru District, I would suggest that their present disposition should be availed of, especially as from my long and personal acquaintance with them I am sanguine of success in this matter.

I have, &c.,

William B. Baker, R.M.

The Native Secretary, &c.