Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 71. — Memorandum on the Kawau Pa, New Plymouth

page 38

No. 71.
Memorandum on the Kawau Pa, New Plymouth.

The occupation by the Natives of the town pa, New Plymouth, has been for some time a subject of complaint by the Europeans residing in the vicinity of the pa, more especially that portion of it which interfered with the continuation of Currie Street. In the early part of April last I had several conversations with the Natives upon the subject, and they appeared to me quite willing that the land should be sold to the Government.

A Commission was appointed in April, 1861, to value the pa and buildings. One claimant, whose name I forget, objected to the award as being too small. Te Waaka, who had a house in the pa, was at this time with the rebels, and did not accept the terms of peace until the following June. He then offered to give up certain lands as an atonement for his offence, including his claim in the town pa. This offer was qualified at the suggestion of Mr. Parris, and it was ultimately proposed that the Pukenui Reserve only should be ceded. The Government assented to this arrangement.

I am of opinion, from what I know of the Natives claiming the pa, that they may be induced to surrender their claims for the sum awarded by the Commission, if fairly distributed among the proprietors. This, it appears to me, will be the simplest solution of the present difficulty.

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

22nd November, 1861.