Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 57. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Parris, J.P

No. 57.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Parris, J.P.

Waiwhakaiho.Right of Road through Reserve of Wiremu te Ahoaho to he conveyed. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 20th September, 1858.

Sir,—

The deed of conveyance executed by Wiremu te Ahoaho himself for a portion of land on his reserve at Waiwhakaiho, given up by him as a site for a road, not being sufficiently binding, I have the honour, by direction of His Excellency the Governor, to transmit to you herewith a draft of a deed, to which you will be good enough to adhere as closely as the circumstances of the transaction will admit, taking care likewise that a plan of the land is attached to the conveyance. I have also to draw your attention to the fact that, while Wi te Ahoaho is the principal owner of the reserve in question, especial care should be taken to obtain the assent and signatures of the other Natives formerly residing together with him upon the land; and that the conveyance shall be so executed that no possibility may exist of any of his relations, or any other party, being in a position to come forward hereafter, or at his demise, to dispute his right to sell or disturb the existing arrangement.

The land in question does not come within the operation of "The Native Reserves Act, 1856," having been set apart for Wi te Ahoaho and party under Governor Fitzroy's arrangement of 1844. You will therefore be good enough, in your capacity as District Commissioner, to obtain the cession of the land, making such alterations in the form of conveyance herewith transmitted as you may deem necessary to make it binding upon the Natives; the chief object in all such documents being to make them so clear and explicit as to prevent the possibility of future litigation or dispute.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

R. Parris, Esq., J.P., District Commissioner, Taranaki.