Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 55. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Searancke

No. 55.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Searancke.

Wellington.As to Gifts of Land by Natives to half-caste Children. Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 10th September, 1858.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter of the 6th instant relative to gifts of land by Natives to half-caste children, urging the importance of some immediate steps being taken for a settlement of their claims, and stating the bearings of the question upon your present negotiations for land purchases, having brought the subject under the notice of His Excellency's Government, I am directed to inform you that you may propose to the Natives as a term of the contracts entered into with them to secure portions of lands of moderate extent out of the purchased blocks to be granted to half-caste children, all such arrangements being of course subject to His Excellency's approval.

Native Reserves to be of Sufficient Extent.

I need scarcely draw your attention to the necessity for having reserves of sufficient extent for the present and future requirements of the Natives themselves set apart in the blocks now under negotiation in your district.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

W. N. Searancke, Esq., District Commissioner, Wellington.