Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 130.]

No. 130.

Tairua Native Reserve.

The Hon. D. Pollen to the Hon. the Minister for Public Works. General Government Buildings, Auckland, 4th December, 1872.

Sir,—

I have the honour to transmit herewith a letter from Mr. Preece, written by direction of Mr. Mackay, relative to the purchase of several blocks of land in the Thames District, containing in all about 129,200 acres, the titles to which are now being investigated by the Native Land Court sitting at Shortland, and to request that I may be furnished with the necessary funds, and with authority to make advances from time to time as required for the purchase of these lands.

I have, &c.,

Daniel Pollen..

The Hon. the Minister for Public Works, Wellington.

Enclosure.
Mr. Preece to the Hon. D. Pollen.

Hikutaia and other Blocks. Auckland. 22nd November, 1872.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that I was requested by Mr. James Mackay, jun., to call on you in reference to an advance which he wishes to obtain towards the purchase of land in the Hauraki District, now passing through the Native Land Court.

In reference to my conversation with you on the subject. I have to inform you that the following blocks are now before the Court at Shortland, all surveyed, and titles will be completed during the next few weeks—viz., Tairua, 36,000 acres; Whangamata, 45,000 acres; Hikutaia, 15,000 acres; Mangakirikiri, about 6,500 acres; Ipuwhakatara, about 2,500 acres; Omahu, about 7,000 acres; Whenuakite, about 6,700 acres; Kereta, about 1,500 acres; Rangahau (Crown grant) 9,000 acres: total, 129,000 acres. These blocks could be all purchased (by making reserves where necessary) if funds were provided at once while the Natives are assembled; and Mr. Mackay is anxious to be supplied with the means of purchasing the same, and requested me to ask you to see the Hon. the Minister of Lands, now in Auckland, and urge on him the necessity of dealing promptly in the matter.

I have, &c.,

J. W. Preece..

The Hon. D. Pollen, General Government Agent, Auckland.