Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure

Enclosure.

Moturoa.—Statement as to Right of Road bought of Poharama for Mr. Priske.

(Memorandum.)

In the year 1858, as well as I can remember, Mr. Peter Priske made known to me his wish to obtain a road to a back section of his, as the road marked on the plan was impracticable. Mr. Priske added that a road could be taken through, I think, the inland portions of a reserve if Poharama's consent could be obtained, and asked me to help him. I afterwards made a personal inspection of the road marked on the plan, and considered it impracticable. I then proceeded with Mr. Priske and Poharama, who met me by appointment, to that portion of the reserve where a right of road was wanted. Mr. Priske pointed out the line of road desired, and I explained the same to Poharama. After a little consideration Poharama agreed to allow Mr. Priske aright of passage to his back section, because he was a good pakeha: but my impression is that the privilege was not to extend beyond Mr. Priske. I mean that, in the event of Mr. Priske's section falling into the hands of strangers, the right of passage would cease.

To the best of my recollection the above was the nature of the right obtained from Poharama for the special convenience of Mr. Priske, and a small sum of money I believe £5—was afterwards given to Poharama for the privilege. There was no purchase, of the freehold of the roadway. Poharama was not told that he or his people would ultimately have to fence along the roadway.

H. Halse.

4th June, 1866.