Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 36. — Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Chief Commissioner

No. 36.
Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Chief Commissioner

Puketapu.—Reporting offer of that Block. Auckland, 8th October, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that a block of land, situated in the Manukau Harbour, known by the name of Puketapu, has been offered for sale by the Ngatiteata natives. This piece of land, containing about Three thousand five hundred acres (3,500), situated on the middle of the Manukau Block, purchased by me at Waiuku on the 2nd instant, was reserved by the owners at the time of the survey for their own use. From its central position, it is highly desirable that this sale should, if possible, be at once effected. The block may be divided into three equal parts, of fine timber land, rich fern land, and rather poor fern and stunted manuka.

The sum I proposed to pay for this block was Four hundred pounds (£400). Two sections of One hundred acres (100 acres) in each are to be reserved for Ihaia te Manga; and at Whakarongo one section for Aihepene Kaihau, to be conveyed to them by Crown grants, His Excellency the Governor consenting.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke,
District Commissioner and Surveyor.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner, Auckland.