Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 22. — Memorandum by Mr. Commissioner Kemp (acting for the Chief Commissioner)

No. 22.
Memorandum by Mr. Commissioner Kemp (acting for the Chief Commissioner).

Manukau—Respecting Claims of Ihaka to Oruarangi. Land Purchase Department,
Auckland, 1st November, 1854.

Annexed is Mr. Johnson's report in reference to an application of a native by the name of Ihaka, for a piece of land at Mangere, forwarded to this office by the Native Secretary (Major Nugent), October, 1854.

H. T. Kemp.

page 286

The land alluded to is Oruarangi, a small patch about seventy acres in extent, to the West of Mangere farms, and separated by a creek bearing that name from the native reserve at Ihumatao, to which it may be said to be contiguous, and to form a part. Jabez and Wetere claimed it in common with the writer, but it having been sold to Geddes by the Ngatiwhatua, the real owners, it reverted to the Crown when it took possession of the surplus of the Geddes-Imlay claim. The Surveyor-General allowed the natives I have mentioned to occupy it as an act of grace—it being expedient to do so— during the troubles that took place on the location of Mangere in 1851; and I recommended him not to purchase their claims over it. I have heard—but I cannot vouch for the truth of the report— that private Europeans have given Wetere, &c., a douceur to let it fall again into the hands of Government.

The Ngatiwhatua would not like a payment being made on account of this land; but if Mr. Ligar has done anything more about it, it has been done while I have been at the North, and I have no cognizance of the same.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., &c.