Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Hon. the Surveyor General to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

The Hon. the Surveyor General to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Kahawai Block offered for Sale: 10,000 acres. Surveyor General's Office, 5th May, 1847.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency, the Lieutenant-Governor, that Te Wherowhero, Wetere, and Kati, Native Chiefs from Waikato and Manukau, have applied to me to purchase, on the part of Government, a block of land on the south shore of Manukau Harbor, called Kahawai, estimated roughly to contain ten thousand acres, and are anxious to have an answer for which they are waiting in Auckland.

It is bounded on the north and east by Government land.

On the west by a creek of the Manukau, called Wharehono.

On the south by native land.

I understand that the principal reason that induces them to offer the land for sale, is, because it is tapued and useless to the natives, being sacred to them but not to Europeans. The children of Te Wherowhero are buried there, as well as the late Captain Kent, who lived with one of this Chief's daughters.

I have every reason to believe that Katipa, a Chief of Manukau, has claims to the land offered for sale, and he should, I consider, be made a party to the transaction, should His Excellency, the Lieutenant-Governor, approve of purchasing it.

I think it would be a desirable acquisition to the Government, as it abuts on Crown Land, is well situated with reference to the portage between the Manukau and Waikato, and would be some of the first land required if the European population should increase in this neighborhood.

I have, &c.,

C. W. W. Ligar,
Surveyor General.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.