Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14. — The Chief. Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 14.
The Chief. Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Offer of Land at Riverhead.

Protector's Office,

Auckland, 19th May, 1842.

Sir,—

I have the honor to lay before you of the information of His Excellency the Governor, a proposal on the part of the chiefs Tinana, Tantari and others to sell to the Government a considerable tract of country adjoining the land already purchased by the Government at Waitemata, and taking in both sides of the Native road leading from Waitemata to Kaipara. The country is generally barren, with, here and there, small forests of Kauri, which are being destroyed by European sawyers without remunerating the Natives; and its principal importance is that of conecting Auckland with the important District of Kaipara and the Wairoa. Should His Excellency deem the purchase of this district important. I would suggest that Mr. Meurant should immediately be sent with the Natives (who are now anxiously waiting the Governor's pleasure relative thereto) to ascertain as correctly as possible the boundary-line.

I have, &c.,

George Clarke, Chief Protector.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.