Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 13. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Protector

No. 13.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Protector.

Auckland.—Purchase of Land sanctioned. Colonial Secretary's Office, Auckland, 30th December, 1841.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter of yesterday, stating that you have entered into a preliminary agreement for the purchase of a portion of land, situate north-west of the Town of Auckland, containing about Ten thousand acres, for the consideration named, viz., £300 in cash, three horses, two saddles, two bridles, and forty blankets, I do myself the honor, by the direction of the Governor, to convey to you His Excellency's sanction to your concluding the purchase, and to inform you that a warrant has been prepared in your favour for the sum of Three hundred pounds for that purpose, which will be impressed against your name in the Treasury, until you produce the deed of conveyance for the above land, duly executed by the chiefs, and properly witnessed.

Instructions have also been forwarded to the Colonial Storekeeper to issue, on your requisition, the necessary articles of barter, and the stores, to the chiefs above named.

I have, &c.,

Willoughby Shortland.

The Chief Protector of Aborigines.