Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 20. — Mr. H. T. Clarke to Mr. Brissenden

No. 20.
Mr. H. T. Clarke to Mr. Brissenden.

Native Office (Land Purchase Branch),

Wellington, 12th June, 1874.

Sir,—

I have the honor to return herewith two deeds, as per margin, and to draw your attention to several matters which you have omitted.

All instruments of disposition by Natives of land to persons other than of the Native race are not valid, unless previously explained by an interpreter, under the Native Lands Act, 1873," and the signatures attested by a Resident Magistrate or a Judge of the Native Land Court, and one other adult credible witness. This has not been done in either of the cases under notice. The interpreter should endorse on the back of the deed a clear statement in Maori of the contents of the deed, and sign it. This has not been done. The interpreter should then record a certified copy of such indorsement in the Native Land Court of the district in which the land affected is situated. I enclose herewith a specimen deed which will perhaps more clearly indicate the proper course to be taken, and request you to refer to section 85 of "the Native Lands Act, 1873," where instructions as to the proper execution of deeds by Natives are definitely set forth.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Clarke, Uunder Secretary.

E. T. Brissenden, Esq.,

Auckland.