Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 14.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Whangateau.—Respecting Tawhitu's Claim to Land claimed by Mr. Dacre. Auckland,

Sir,—

At your request, I have the honor to state, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that I proceeded to Whangatean to inquire into the nature of Tawhitu's claim to a piece of land situated on that river within an old purchase; and, when I arrived at the settlement, the natives page 144had gone to Te Ngaere. The boundaries of the land claimed by him as a reserve were, however, pointed out to me by a Native named Nuku, which correspond as nearly as possible with that shown on the tracing enclosed herewith. I overtook Tawhitu, who was on his way to Auckland to arrange with Mr. Dacre, the proprietor, and secure the possession of the laud. As this place has been purchased many years ago, and included in the late Pakiri purchase, in the payment for which Tawhitu participated, I cannot see what claim the Natives can have to this place exceyt by occupation. At the same time, as there are several plantations and houses on the land, and the Natives have had undisturbed possession of the land for ten years, I submit that it would be very desirable to make some arrangement with Mr. Dacre in order to secure the Natives in possession of their homes.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan, District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner.