Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 12. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Surveyor Churton

No. 12.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Surveyor Churton.

Mahurangi.—Relative to survey of the Pakiri Block.

Chief Land Purchase Commissioner's Office,

Auckland, 30th August, 1858.

Sir,—

The Native Chief Kiri states that, when you were engaged in surveying the Pakiri Block, he objected to include Omaha in the boundary; and that he prevented, on some occasion, your using a survey chain on that part of the lands he wished to retain.

I am anxious to know from you if such was really the case, and whether any or what objections were made by Kiri or his party to the survey of, or inclusion within the boundaries, of any of the land on the coast line from the Ti to Pakiri; as it appears that the Natives now adduce claims to certain portions about Omaha, and elsewhere, that are not exhibited on the map of the block which you furnished to me.

page 143

Your own recollection and that Mr. McDonnell, who was with you, will decide the point now under reference by the Natives, and I shall feel obliged by an early reply.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean, Chief. Commissioner.

A. Churton, Esq., Mahurangi.