Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

No. 7.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Kourawhero.To effect the Purchase of this Block.Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 19th June, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 10th instant, in reference to the sale by the Natives of the district known as the Kaipara Flats, and estimated to contain 32,000 acres for a sum of Twelve hundred pounds (£1,200), Nine hundred pounds (£900) of which you wish to pay to the claimants at once.

I fully concur in the reasons adduced by you for making this purchase, and I have the pleasure of transmitting to you His Excellency's authority for making this purchase, together with the funds necessary for paying the first instalment.

The right of road through the Native land you allude to should be stipulated for by yourself in whichever way you consider most conducive to the interests of the public.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Land Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq., J.P.,
District Commissioner,
Mahurangi.