Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure 2 in No. 8. — [Translation.] — Mr. J. W. Preece to Heta te Haara

page 124

Enclosure 2 in No. 8.
[Translation.]
Mr. J. W. Preece to Heta te Haara

Kaihu, 2nd February, 1876.

Friend,—

Greeting. Your letter has reached me, but Te Wharepapa and the others did not agree to give Te Hauraugi any money; but Te Wharepapa says, that they will-consider you both.

I have paid the money to them, as, I have no right to retain it; so you two must demand it from them. If any of those moneys are paid over to you both, well and good, but I did not like to see you not get any, and on that account I have paid to Te Haurangi £100, in full satisfaction of the claims of both of you to that land, so that neither of you may hereafter turn round on the Government to search for further payment. If you both choose to obtain any further sum from Te Wharepapa, well and good; but this, which I have paid is a payment in full as far as I am concerned.

The £10 I have given to Te Haurangi, and the balance, namely, £90, I take to Auckland in accordance with the word in your letter that, I should hold it, and Te Haurangi agrees to-your proposal.

From your affectionate friend,

Preece.

Te Hoto to Haara, Ohaeawai.