Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

His Honor the Superintendent, Auckland, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

His Honor the Superintendent, Auckland, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Superintendent's Office, Auckland, 2nd May, 1876.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 15th ultimo, regarding a communication which I enclosed you from Mr. J. A. Tole, solicitor.

In reply, I enclose copy of a further letter I have received from Mr. J. A. Tole, and of its enclosure, and beg to request earnestly that you will cause an inquiry to be made into the irregular circumstances alleged in this correspondence to have taken place; and further, that until such inquiry has terminated, all proceedings relative to the deeds for the blocks of land in question may be stayed.

Mr. J. A. Tole is right in stating that the chief Paora Tuhaere, together with Mr. Tole and some Natives, sought and obtained an interview with me on the subject of the wrong proceedings which in this correspondence it is alleged took place.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.