Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No 13.]

No. 13.

Report on Purchase of Maunganui and Waipoua Blocks.

The original negotiations for these blocks, or rather block, the subdivisions being quite arbitrary were begun by Mr. Brissenden, who was assisted by Mr. C. E. Nelson as interpreter. At this time the land was unsurveyed, and Tiopira alone was dealt with. An advance of £620 on account of the purchase at an agreed rate of 1s. 1d. per acre was made to Tiopira and friends. Subsequently Mr. J. W. Preece was appointed agent for the purchase of Native lands in place of Mr. Brissenden. A Ngapuhi chief, named Parore, had asserted a claim, and at one time threatened to stop the survey by force.

These lands were adjudicated upon at a sitting of the Native Lands Court, held at Kaihu, Kaipara, in January and February last, and eventually a memorial of ownership granted Jointly to Tiopira and Parore. Mr. Preece with difficulty induced Tiopira to adhere to his arrangement for sale, a sum of £25 being thrown in to make the total up to £ 2,000. Up to the time of Tiopira's receiving his money and signing the receipts and deeds, no attempt had been made to buy Parore's moiety.

The charges against Mr. Preece resolve themselves into these—viz., that he induced Tiopira to complete the sale by a representation that Parore would not receive a greater amount for his share. The evidence of Messrs. Preece, Kemp, and Clendon refutes this charge, which rests on the statements of Paora and Mr. Nelson, which, however, greatly differ from one another. The second charge is, that the consideration money was not expressed in the deed when signed by Tiopira. This is in accordance with fact; the figures were merely pencilled in, and the notice of the attesting Judge called thereto; and the object thereof stated—viz., that should Parore be induced to sell, the sums paid to him might be added to those already given to Tiopira, and one conveyance to the Queen be taken from both vendors.

I can find no irregularity in these purchases. Tiopira received his due, and, indeed, in the joint letter of himself and Paora only begs for more money that his chiefs may not be put in a lower scale than Parore's.

I must notice the behaviour of Mr. C. E. Nelson, who, whilst in receipt of Government pay as clerk and assistant to Mr. Preece, kept a diary in which he made notes of matters which seemed to him to throw discredit on his superior, and, who, whilst still in the service of the Government, without communicating with Mr. Preece (whom he was to assist); Mr. Kemp, the Civil Commissioner and. District Officer, or the Native Minister; handed over his note-book to Mr Tole, his personal friend, a solicitor, and also a member of the House of Representatives. I refrain from commenting upon conduct so dishonorable. Mr. Nelson is not now in the service of the colony.

R. C. Barstow.
page 128

Report on Purchase of Opouteke Block.

Whilst this block was before the Native Lands Court, a Native named Te Haurangi asserted a claim to a portion of it, and pointed out on the plan the piece which he stated to belong to him. A pencilline was drawn on the plan indicating, the piece. He consented, however, that the grant for the entire block should be issued to Kamariera Wharepapa.

When Mr. Preece, as Land Purchase Agent; was about to pay the price which had been agreed upon to Wharepapa, he wrote to Te Haurangi, who thereon came to Kaihu. Mr. Preece gathered from some of the Maoris that Haurangi would not get any money from Wharepapa, and before paying for the land concluded an arrangement with him that on receiving £100 he would make no further claim against the Government, and only have recourse to Wharepapa. This sum was paid before the purchase money for the land was handed over. Te Haurangi and Heta afterwards came to Auckland to take steps against Wharepapa, but were met by Mr. Nelson, who induced them to go to Mr. Tole, and then to Sir George Grey. They both expressed themselves to me as having no complaint against the Government, that these grievances were manufactured by Messrs. Nelson and Tole, but that they hoped to get some payment from the parties who had appropriated the purchase money.

R. C. Barstow.

30th June, 1876.

The attached statements of Paora Tuhaere, Charles Edwin Nelson, James Stephenson Clendon, John Jermyn Symonds, James Wathen Preece, and Henry Tacy Kemp, written upon thirty sheets of paper, numbered 1 to 30, and by me fixed together, were severally declared to and signed by the said above-named persons under the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," before me.

R. C. Barstow, R.M.

Police Court, Auckland, 29th June, 1876.

Minutes of Evidence on Purchase of Maunganui and Waipoua Blocks, taken on 10th June and following days.

Paora Tuhaere: I am a Rangitira, of Ngatiwhatua, living at Orakei. I remember being at a Lands Court at Kaihu in February last. Maunganui and Waipoua Blocks were investigated at that Court. I was conductor of proceedings for one party. I heard the judgment of the Court. Maunganui was awarded to Parore, Waipoua to Tiopira. Then equal interests were given to Parore and Tiopira in each block. Tiopira himself had arranged to sell both these blocks prior to the survey. Brissenden and Mr. Nelson were the agents arranging this purchase for the Government. I don't know the price. Some money was paid on account before it was passed through the Court. After the sitting of the Court I heard the price; I am not sure whether it was 11d. or 1s. per acre. I know what took place after the Lands Court about the sale. I wrote the particulars of this sale in my own hand to Sir Donald McLean. The whole statement is correct. Tiopira was thoroughly aware of the contents of that letter, which was written at the request of Sir Donald. At my first return from the Court at Kaihu, I complained to Mr. Kemp of the division of the money—of the £500. About a month after, Mr. Nelson came to me, on the occasion of Heta te Haara, Haurangi, and others being in town. Mr. Nelson said to me, "You had better go to Mr. Tole's office or house as companion to Heta or Haurangi; they are there." When I reached there Mr. Nelson was not there, and I went by myself I found only Mr. Tole and two Natives there. Tiopira was not there. Nothing was said, as there was no interpreter to speak between us. He did mention Maunganui and Waipoua. Mr. Nelson had not told me to speak about those blocks, but only as a companion to Heta and others. About three days after Mr. Nelson came in and interpreted about this matter at Mr. Tole's office. Not much was said, but it was about this sum of £500; that was the first time that I was a ware that the matter was put into Mr. Tole's hands, as a lawyer. Mr. Nelson told me that this was the lawyer who was to ask Sir George Grey to ask the Government for our money; that was all that took Place. We then went to Colonel Haultain's. On our arrival there we found that deeds of Waipoua and Maunganui had been passed by him. Heta's deed was there. Myself, Heta, Haurangi, and Mr. Tole were, the party who went to Colonel Haultain's. A few days after, Mr. Nelson came again to me. My name was not in the Crown grant. I went to Colonel Haultain's because Mr. Nelson and Mr. Tole asked me to do so. It was on account of Tiopira, that I was asked by them to go. This originated here, but my speaking to Mr. Kemp was by the desire of Tiopira; he told me to ask the Government quietly for the money. Richard de Thierry was present in Colonel Haultain's office with us, I think. I am wrong; it was William Young, the interpreter, who was there[gap — reason: illegible] he acted as such. I did not take him there; it was their doing. When Tiopira and self left Kaihu, Parore was at his own Kainga, near there After we went they fetched him. I saw a payment made in the Court Hose to myself and Tiopira; the payment made was £1,400, and £100 for Waimata. Parore was not present. The payment for the block was not all made then. I did not see Parore receive any monkey. The amount he received was published to the tribe. The letter from Parore was given to Mr. Kemp, but not read in Court. Tiopira signed three receipts. There was a separate document for the £100; that I saw. I was present and heard the deed interpreted by Mr. Clendon to Tiopira.: I did not see the writing; I only listened to the interpretation. The price mentioned was £2,000 for Waipoua, and £2,000 for Maunganui. Mr. Preece was present at the reading of the deed. I heard Tiopira ask Mr. Preece if Parore had assented to the £2,000 as the price. Mr. Kemp was there too. I do not know Mr. Preece's reply, as I was confused; all that took place was there in my letter. On the same day Mr. Preece had said to us (myself and Tiopira) that the price was fixed, and that they would not get a higher price; this was inconsequence of Tiopira saying that he would not sign his name till he got 1s. 6d. per acre. Parore's name was not mentioned at that time. I was not near Parore when he was arranging for the sale. At the time of sale it was not mentioned at all by Parore what price he should receive, whether more or less. Tiopira asked if Parore would not receive a larger payment than himself. Mr. Preece page 129replied that the price would not be increased, that he would not get more. Mr. Nelson asked me to go with Mr. Tole to Sir G: Grey. I went. He questioned me; I did not reply; Mr. Tole spoke. Sir G. Grey asked me what I had to say. Mr. Tole took up the reply. He did not ask me if the account was true. Sir G. Grey said to us Maoris: "My sons, I will ask for your money from Government quietly." Mr. Nelson and Mr. Tole told me that Mr. Tole would be the lawyer to speak to Sir G. Grey. I knew what I went for, as I had been told. I understood Mr. Tole was going to speak about this. Had I wanted to take up this matter I should have gone to my own lawyer, Mr. McCormick. Had the £250 or £500 asked for been received; I should have got some, as I have an interest in the land.

Paora Tuhaere.

I, Paora Tuhaere, of Orakei, do solemnly and sincerely declare that the statements herein above made by me are true, and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

Before me—

R. C. Barstow, R.M.

Charles Edwin Nelson: I have been a resident for some years in the Kaipara District, and am a licensed interpreter. I was engaged with Mr. Brissenden in purchasing land for the Government from the Natives. Mr. Brissenden and myself first negotiated the purchase of these two blocks, about nine months previous to sitting of Native Lands Court upon them. Our negotiations were both with Tiopira and Parore. We concluded a bargain with Tiopira, at rate of 1s. 1d. per acre for any land surveyed and adjudicated to him. I paid Tiopira, and adherents of his, £620 on the block, which was then called Waipoua only; this money was paid after the price was agreed upon, some before the survey, some during it, some after completion. I offered Parore the same price after I had paid some money to Tiopira, some £150. Parore was willing to accept the price if I had given an advance on Account of £500. I offered £100. He said, "You will never get the land." He said I had negotiated with the other party first. This took place at Kaihu. I saw. Parore again afterwards, after having paid Ngatiwhatua £200. I tried again to bargain, without effect. He asked for £500; I offered £200, which he would not take. Parore told me twice to stop the survey; and I heard that he had threatened to stop it with an armed party. The survey was completed. I was present at the sitting of the Native Lands Court at Kaihu. It opened on 27th January. These blocks were adjudicated upon. The decision of Court was given on 1st February. Decision was that Tiopira was to have Waipoua, and Parore Maunganui. Hone Whetuki did not agree. Paora Tuhaere, on behalf of Tiopira, Ngatiwhatua, and other tribes, objected. Tiopira said he would go and take possession of the land: let the Court suspend this judgment. The Court adjourned. Mr. Kemp and Mr. Preece came down to Mangawhare, where the Natives were, to effect a conciliation, which they ultimately did. Tiopira told Mr. Kemp that he would only consent on condition that himself and Parore were both included as grantees of blocks of Waipoua and Maunganui, and for the reserve at Waipoua to be his own; and for the "right of conquest" to be effaced from the deed. Mr. Kemp said he would do what was just and reasonable. He had seen Parore and Tirarau. On Wednesday, 2nd February, Messis. Kemp and Preece came to Mangawhare again, and brought word from Parore that he had agreed to Tiopira's request of previous evening. Then Tiopira began to quibble, saying that both names should be in Maunganui, but his own name only in Waipoua. Mr. Preece objected. Tiopira stated that he would consent if Parore gave him £100 out of money he had received from Waimata Block. Mr. Preece said he would take upon himself to promise that Parore would do this. In the afternoon, 3p.m., Messrs. Kemp and Preece returned with a letter from Parore; saying that he would agree that he and Tiopira should be in both pieces; that Tiopira should have Waipoua, and should have £100 from Waimata. Paora Tuhaere wrote a letter accepting the terms on Tiopira's behalf, and Tiopira signed it. There was a plan of the reserve in the Court. Its area was not then mentioned. The next day the Court met, Mr. Kemp read the first portion of both letters, avoiding any mention of the £100 for Waimata, which Parore had agreed to pay Tiopira. I asked Paora to make a copy of these notes in his pocketbook, and he did so from memory immediately after. The Judge said that memorials of ownership should be made out in conformity with this arrangement, viz., the names of each in the grant, and Tiopira and party only in the reserve. On Friday, 4th, about 10 a.m., Paora and Tiopira went to Kaihu; I followed half-an-hour after. I saw Messrs. Kemp and Preece there. The latter said he was going to see Parore and Tirarau, but would not be long. They stayed away about an hour. When I saw Mr. Preece again, he requested me to get Tiopira and Paora to come to the Court House. I did so. There were present Kemp, Preece, Clendon, Austin, Tiopira, Paora, and myself. Mr. Preece mentioned that the area of two blocks was 72,892 acres, which at 1s. 1d. amounted to £1,974."Wait," said Tiopira; "I acknowledge that I agreed to sell the land to the Government at that price; but I agreed with Nelson, and he has nothing to do with it now; you are a new person, and ought to give another price. I must have 1s. 6d. per acre or I sign no paper" To this Mr. Preece replied, "Although I am another person, I am working for the same Government that purchased the land from you; you Lave taken money on account; you have given receipts for it, and agreed to sell the land at 1s. 1d. per acre" Tiopira then asked, "Has Parore consented to accept his money?" Mr. Preece replied, "Yes." Mr. Kemp took it up and said, "We have just come from Parore's house; he has consented." Paora then said, "Tiopira is bound to complete this sale; but regarding the price, I think it should be made something more. Will you not make it up to £2,000?" To this Mr. Preece agreed at once, though he said it was wrong to extort money from him in this manner, especially as Tiopira had already received over £600 and 12,000 acres of land. Tiopira then said, "You told me yesterday that you agreed to pay me £100 Parore agreed to give from sale of Waimata" "Yes," said Mr. Preece, "I will pay you the Waimata money now" Mr. Preece then said to Mr. Kemp, "I will go for the money and some blank vouchers, as I must get Tiopira's receipt" I remarked to Mr. Preece, "This money is being paid by Parore to Tiopira; Tiopira has no business to sign for it." Mr. Preece said, "Parore's money is not here, and I must have a receipt to keep accounts square with the audit." I said, "It is Q.—C. page 130simply a monetary transaction; you pay on Parore's account; he should give you a receipt for money advanced." Mr. Preece said, "I cannot see why you should put in any obstacles." I replied, "That will do." Mr. Kemp said, "Mr. Nelson: Parore's money is not available; the money paid for Waimata is in Auckland." I said, "It is certainly no business of mine, only it seems somewhat strange." Mr. Preece left the Court House, and not long after returned with money and voucher forms. He said he had been looking for Captain Symonds, and could not find him; would I go and seek him, and ask him to come up. I went to verandah of hotel, and there found Captain Symonds. I asked him to come and witness some deeds at the Court House; and I ran back again, as I was anxious to read contents of vouchers about to be signed by Tiopira. When I re-entered Court House, Mr. Preece was filling up duplicate papers for Tiopira to sign. I went up by side of Mr. Preece, and by momentary view perceived the voucher to be an acknowledgment for £100 on account of Maunganui. Captain Symonds entered the Court and took his seat. Mr. Preece handed Tiopira £100 in bank-notes, and placed the paper before him: "This is the £100 for Waimata—to sign your name." Tiopira put on his spectacles and signed his name to the vouchers in duplicate, which were subsequently witnessed by Mr. Kemp. [Voucher produced.]

The voucher is for £100 (No. 15, 1876, 4th February), 9th payment, on account of purchase of Waipoua and Maunganui, £620, former payment.

Shortly after Manunganui and Waipoua deeds were produced, Mr. Clendon was asked by Mr. Preece to act as interpreter, Mr. Preece explaining to him the arrangement, and that the consideration was to be £2,000 in each piece. Mr. Clendon then interpreted the deeds, but as the consideration had been left blank, he read out £2,000 in both instances. Tiopira signed the parchments, took the money, took off his specs., and the transaction was completed. The blanks were not filled in when Tiopira signed. Captain Symonds was present when the deed was signed, and when Mr. Preece explained to Mr. Clendon that the consideration was left blank, but was to be £2,000. I do not know anything further than I have stated already as to any transactions between the Government and Parore about this land. The allowing the Waipoua reserve to Tiopira had nothing to do with the purchase, and did not affect it. My wife is a half-caste, but from the Rarawa, and not related to these people. I was employed by the Government to act in concert with Mr. Preece during these transactions. I kept a diary of what took place day by day. I am not in the service of the Government now. I made no complaint either to Government or to any one else of Mr. Preece's conduct whilst I was in the service; but I may have stated facts. I handed my pocket-book to Mr. Tole while I was in the Government service. I am not aware that this was a breach of the Civil Service Regulations. I was only engaged from month to month. At Kaihu I had seen a Native, named Haurangi, who had a dispute with Kamariera about the sale of the Opouteke Block, Mr. Preece having told him that, should be sue Kamariera, he would make him pay something. In town here, afterwards, I saw Haurangi and Heta te Haara, who spoke to me about this matter, saying the law had been recommended. I mentioned Mr. Tole to them, and brought them to his office, and acted as interpreter for them. Heta said he had no money for law, and wished to go to Sir G. Grey, as he knew him. It was then I mentioned this present matter, and that Paora and Tiopira were much aggrieved at the way they had been treated. I brought Paora to Mr. Tole's office. I interpreted for them. I knew the facts and brought them forward. I brought them forward at my instigation. Paora went to Mr. Tole's office, knowing what he came for. I never reported or mentioned to Mr. Preece that Paora or Tiopira were dissatisfied. I wish to mention that, on the 8th of February, at Kaihu, I was requested by Mr. Preece to fill in the consideration which had been left blank in the Waipoua deed. It was pencilled in £2,200, and I wrote it in ink. I was also requested to fill in the deed of execution, which was of that date, 8th February. I did not fill in Maunganui deed. I did not notice it. There were many deeds there. I don't remember Mr. Kemp saying, on the wharf at Kaihu, after the transactions were concluded, "I think Tiopira had by far the best of the bargain," and my fully, concurring therewith. I deny so doing. Tiopira and the whole tribe expressed indignation to me at the way they had been treated in receiving less than Parore. After Mr. Preece was employed, I was like the fifth wheel of a coach, and had nothing to do. I received pay to the end of May. My service expired at the end of April last. I never reported the dissatisfaction to any one in the service of Government.

Charles E. Nelson.

Declared before me—
R. C. Barstow, R.M.

James Stephenson Clendon: I am Secretary to the Native Lands Court at Kaihu, in the Kaipara District. I was present during the Lands Court session at end of January and beginning of February, 1876, when Waipoua and Maunganui Blocks were adjudicated. I have heard the evidence of Paora Tuhaere and Mr. Nelson, and have no wish to say anything thereon prior to the adjudication. I was present at the signing of the documents; I interpreted the deeds. The sum for consideration was blank, and the cause thereof explained to the Judge by Mr. Preece before me and to myself also. The cause was that, as the price which Parore would take had not been agreed upon, it was advisable to leave the space blank, so as to fill in the full amounts when ascertained and deed, executed by Parore. The object was to make one deed answer for the sale of each block by the co-grantees, otherwise there must have been a separate deed for each interest in each block. When I read the deeds, I read them at the price for which Tiopira sold his claim, £2,000. Some days after I read the deed to Parore. I explained the deeds on each occasion. I expressed the consideration Parore was to receive; I am not certain that I told him how much Tiopira had received, but may have done. I understood that Mr. Preece advanced £100 on Parore's account to Tiopira, to come out of the Waimata money, which was, to my knowledge, in Auckland. I had seen it paid some months previously, and saw it sent to Auckland through a Mr. Mitchelson, Dargaville's manager. Tiopira was perfectly aware that he received the £2,000 in liquidation of his claim on the two blocks. When Tiopira received his money and signed the deed, he relinquished all claim and title to his interest in the two blocks; thereafter the Government and Parore would remain joint owners. I am stated by Mr. Nelson to have been present on the 4th, when Mr. Preece, in reply to Tiopira, said that Parore had consented to accept page 131this money, and Mr. Kemp was said to have added, "We have just come from Parore's house; he has consented." I heard no such conversation. I knew that no arrangement had been made at this time as to price with Parore, and should have noticed such remark. I was close by and think I must have heard any such remark. I remember Paul asking for the increasing the price to £2,000, and that conversation, which lasted from twenty minutes to half an hour; till Captain Symonds arrived. Mr. Nelson was at the opposite side of the hall sitting under a window on a form; I was beside the table where the talk was going on the whole time. I heard Mr. Preece asked by Tiopira why it was necessary to sign the vouchers in addition to the deeds; Mr. Preece told him it was necessary to have the vouchers to send to the Treasury. I understood that the £100 was an advance for Parore on account of Waimata, the other the balance of the purchase money. I had heard the Natives themselves, at a public meeting, speak of and acknowledge the money they had previously received. I did not hear any dissatisfaction expressed by Tiopira's people after the transaction. William Young, interpreter, told me they had been to Colonel Haultain's about a month subsequently. I have only seen Tiopira and Parore once each since this business. I remember Mr. Kemp, after Tiopira, had received the money, remarking that he had got the best of the bargain, and Mr. Nelson expressing his concurrence. This was, I think, in the Courthouse.

James S. Clendon.

Declared to before me— R. C. Barstow, R.M.

Paora Tuhaere: I never employed Mr. Tole in Tiopira's name. I was not authorized by Tiopira to employ a lawyer. I never told Mr. Tole that I was authorized to employ a lawyer. Tiopira had only asked me to apply to Mr. Kemp. I never authorized Mr. Tole to act for me. Tiopira and myself have never applied for this investigation. When I appeared before Sir George Grey I never spoke, neither did the other Natives; only Mr. Tole. When Tiopira arrived in Auckland, after four days I took him to Okahu. Tiopira told me that Mr. Nelson had been urging him to go to Mr. Tole. Tiopira then said he did not wish at all to have a lawyer; that he and I should go to McLean, and apply to him. We saw him. We wrote the letter of 5th May in consequence of that interview, at which Mr. Kemp and Mr. Preece were present. Sir Donald McLean asked us to put our statement in writing. Tiopira came down because he had heard that Sir Donald had arrived here. I do not know that any one wrote to him.

Paora Tuhaere.

John Jermyn Symonds: I am a Judge of the Native Lands Court. I remember being at Kaihu, Kaipara, at the end of January and beginning of February last, when the Maunganui and Waipoua Blocks were passed through the Court. It was part of my duty to witness the execution of the deeds. I did witness the execution of these deeds by Tiopira. It was three days, I think, prior to their being signed by Parore, which was on 8th February. The consideration money was not written in when Tiopira signed, for the reason that it was not then known what consideration money it would be necessary to put into the deed, because arrangements had not then been made with Parore, and that the money to be paid to him would have to be added to what had been paid to Tiopira in order to express the true consideration for the blocks. Mr. Preece called my attention to this, stating that he had not as yet arranged with Parore. There was no bother or trouble, and Tiopira seemed quite to understand what he was doing. It was clearly explained to him by the interpreter, Mr. Clendon, in my presence. I understand the Native language well enough to know that. I know that Tiopira sold his right to Maunganui and Waipoua to the Government. I do not remember the price, but he was paid in my presence, and he sold for the amount then paid to him, together with a sum previously paid on account. Ngatiwhatua seemed dejected at their claim being rejected, but Tiopira and people seemed well contented when I left, which was after Parore had been paid. When Mr. Preece mentioned that the consideration money had not been written in the deeds because Parore had not been arranged with, that statement was made openly in the Court House, and audible to everybody. There was not the smallest concealment about it. My official attestation to the deeds was not made till after completion of them by Parore's signature.

John Jermyn Symonds.

James Wathen Preece: I have no recollection whatever of Tiopira asking me if Parore had consented to the price, i.e., 1s. 1d. per acre. I have no recollection of his asking me any question as to what Parore was to get. I state positively that I never told him that Parore had agreed to any terms; had I told him that Parore had agreed to any terms, I must nave told him a falsehood, as Paroro had not then come to any terms whatever; nor did Mr. Kemp, in my hearing (and he was within two yards from me), make any such statement as described by Mr. Nelson. I did tell Tiopira that I would not agree to more than the 1s. 1d. per acre, when he asked me for 1s. 6d., but this had no relation whatever to Parore, nor was he then mentioned.

These land purchase transactions were entirely my own; Mr. Kemp was in no way responsible, though he did render me very valuable assistance.

J. W. Preece.

Henry Tacy Kemp: I am Civil Commissioner at Auckland. I have had knowledge for very many years of the nature of the several land claims at Kaipara and the North. I was a Land Purchase Commissioner for more than twenty years. I became aware of the reckless manner in which Mr. Brissenden, assisted by Mr. Nelson, paid money by way of advance to Natives having small or no interest in lands. I accompanied Mr. Preece, as I am District Officer, and had special instructions from Government to attend the sitting of the Lands Court at Kaihu in January last. I am thoroughly cognizant of all Mr. Preece's transactions in payment of money for land at that time; all were sanctioned by me, though I was not the active agent. I was present when Tiopira signed the deeds for Maunganui and Waipoua and received the money therefor. He declined to sign unless he got the £100 for Waimata. Mr. Preece agreed to pay it on behalf of Parore. No inducement to sign these deeds was held out by any promise that Parore should receive no larger payment than himself, by myself or by any person in my hearing.

page 132

I took a prominent part in arranging with Parore, and suggested to Mr. Preece that as Tiopira had received 12,000 acres of reserve in lieu of 6,000, as agreed, that the sum of £500 beyond the amount paid to Tiopira might be paid to Parore, so as to equalize the consideration each received; and it was with some difficulty that we could persuade Parore to agree to this, when it is borne in mind that Waipoua itself was for very many years the favourite residence of Parore, and the difference in the price given to him, as with the value of the reserve, was very much in Tiopira's favour.

H. T. Kemp.