Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 46. — Mr. Brissenden to the Hon. D. Pollen

No. 46.
Mr. Brissenden to the Hon. D. Pollen.

Kaipara.—Land Transactions.Auckland, 14th April, 1874.

Sir,—

As I understand that you are aware that I have been appointed Government agent for the purchase of Native lands in the North by the Hon. the Native Minister, and that you act for him in his absence, I take the liberty of addressing you on the subject of Native lands.

I have commenced the negotiation for the following blocks' of land—viz., 20,000 acres of Te Pakiri Block, for which I require £2,000; the Muriwhenua Block, about 20,000 acres, at 2s. an acre, £2,000; the Taupaki Block, 6,000 acres, fit for special settlement; and many other blocks, in all amounting to some 100,000 acres.

page 114

I have been very much crippled in my transactions for want of the necessary funds to enable me to pay the whole or part of the purchase money, and have in consequence been compelled to prolong negotiations to fill up time.

One great obstacle is the number of private individuals throughout the North anxious to purchase kauri forests as well as open country. These people having money in hand gives them a great advantage over me, and mates my task extremely difficult, the more so while many of the blocks in the North have passed through the Native Land Court, rendering private transactions quite safe.

I hope that no further delay will be given, and that you will be good enough to authorize me to draw for any such sums as may be required from time to time on the Bank of New Zealand, Auckland.

I have, &c.

E. T. Brissenden.

The Hon. D. Pollen,
Government Office, Auckland.