Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 40. — Lieut-Colonel Mcdonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland

No. 40.
Lieut-Colonel Mcdonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland.

Kaipara.—Pakiri Block.Auckland, 24th December, 1872.

Sir,—

I returned from the Kaipara yesterday evening, and have the honor to inform you, with respect to the block of land near Little Omaha, named Pakiri, that I have been instructed to purchase, that I have had personal communication with two of the three owners, Rahui, and Arama Karaka who is trustee for Wi Apo. Hori te More, the third owner, I have not yet been able to communicate with. Rahui says that she is not willing to dispose of her right to the Government, but that she is willing that the owners' titles be individualised by the Native Land Court, after which each person can do as he or she may then please. Arama Karaka, trustee for Wi Apo, has given his consent to this arrangement, and has signed a requisition to the Native Land Court to this effect, and Rahui has signed also. Arama Karaka is agreeable to sell 6,000 acres out of what will be awarded to Wi Apo, reserving 4,000; or to dispose of the whole, if some provision be made for the lad's education, and he wishes the sum of £300 to be advanced at once on the land, and I enclose a letter from him, which I believe is to that effect.

I have not spoken to Hori te More about the money he is said to be owing Mr. McLeod, but I understand that he is willing to settle old scores with that gentleman, should the Government purchase his interest in the land. I will, however, place myself in communication with him, and acquaint you with the result. And I presume nothing further can be done in this matter until it has been brought before the Native Land Court.

I have, &c.,

Thomas McDonnell.

The Hon. Dr. Pollen, Government Agent, Auckland.