Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 38. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 38.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Pukeatua Block offered for Sale by Te Reweti. Te Awaroa, Kaipara, 7th January, 1864.

Sir,—

The Chief Tamati Reweti, at a meeting of Natives held yesterday at this place, came forwards and offered for sale to the Government a block of land named Pukeatua, containing about twenty thousand acres (20,000 acres), situated within a few miles of Auckland, for 7s. an acre. I intimated to him that I had no authority to agree to pay him any such amount. It was arranged that I should refer the matter to Auckland, and as it appears to me that the opportunity has now arisen for bringing the purchase to a conclusion, I have the honor to offer the following suggestions for your favourable consideration. The Superintendent will at once see the importance of purchasing this land. As I have never yet been able to examine the Pukeatua Block, it is submitted that an officer be despatched forth with to examine and report on the nature of the land; its position, availability, &c, arid that the Government should then fix the highest limit per acre, and authorize me to make that offer to Tamati Rewiti. The arrangement now existing between us is that he will wait until I return from my visit throughout the district, which I hope will be in a few days, when a reply to this letter may be expected, and if the Government are prepared to give 4s. 6d. or 5s., I believe the purchase may be concluded at once.

I have, &c,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, Auckland.