Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 3. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 3.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Is negotiating for the purchase of the Kaipara Flats.Mahurangi, 30th March, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to state for the information of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government, that I have returned from Whangarei, and am engaged in negotiating with the Natives, for the purchase of a tractof country, known as the "Kaipara Flats," and situated to the westward of this place. Having fully reported upon the purchases lately effected in the Whangarei District, in my letter of the 20th instant, I deemed it more conducive to the public service to proceed with the purchase of land in the Mahurangi district, complaints having been made by the Natives that the settlers were pushing beyond the boundaries of the Government Block, and upon the land offered for sale. The Chief Mate has preceded me to Auckland, and it would be very desirable if the arrangements suggested in my report of the 20th instant, relative to the Native Reserve at the Ruakaka be approved by His Excellency, that the sum of Seventy pounds (£70), which would then be eligible for that Chief, be paid to him without awaiting my arrival.

The claimants to the Kaipara Flats are now assembled together, and appear intent on selling; but even my temporary absence for a few days might result in the postponement of the purchase of this part of the country, which I learn from the District Surveyor is much required by intending settlers.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Sub-Commissioner for the Purchase of Native Land.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.