Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 16. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

page 100

No. 16.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Tokatoka.Explaining receipt for £20 advanced to Parore on account of Black.District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 4th July, 1856.

Sir,—

In reply to your letter of the 26th in reference to the payment for the Tokatoka Block, I have the honor to state that the arrangement made by Mr. Commissioner Johnson and finally carried out by myself, stood thus:—The deed drawn out (I believe by Mr. Johnson), fixed the entire sum at Two hundred pounds (£200) out of which Twenty pounds was reserved and placed by me in the Union Bank, to the credit of either Mr. Hastings Atkyns, of Kaipara, or Mr. Johnson, at the request of the latter, on behalf of Parore, One hundred and eighty pounds having been handed over to Paraone and his party, and receipts given in full for the amount originally agreed upon.

If Parore had not signed the deed, it was no doubt intended by Mr. Johnson that the receipt given by that chief for the Twenty pounds (£20) should be appended to the original document, making but one entire and complete arrangement.

I think that this explanation, as nearly as I can remember, will furnish the information requested, and will enable you to make the entry under one heading, which was evidently Mr. Johnson's intention when the arrangement was made by him for the purchase.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.