Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 8.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Has paid Balance of Purchase Money of Mangawhai and Waipu. District Commissioner's Office, Whangarei, 2nd August, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for your information that I have now paid to the natives the additional sums required to complete the purchases of Mangawhai and Waipu Blocks, recommended in my letter to the Colonial Secretary, dated 20th March, 1854, and approved by His Excellency the officer administering the Government, amounting to the sum of Two hundred and twenty pounds (£220). The receipt of Sixty pounds (£60), which was paid for an extension of the original boundaries is included in the deed of Mangawhai from Ngatrwhatua; and was forwarded by me to the Colonial Secretary under cover on the 20th March last. The sum of Ten pounds (£10), for extinguishing the claims of Te Pirihi on a portion of Waipu named Te Paritu, was paid by me at Auckland to a relative of his named Eru Toenga, and the document of the surrender of the said claims is filed in your office.

I now beg to enclose the deed of final extinction of the claims of the chiefs and their followers who are named in the margin, * over Mangawhai and Waipu, for the sum of Two hundred pounds. Fifty pounds was issued to me at the time of the former payment in March last, and the remaining One hundred and fifty pounds from the amount of Two hundred and seventy pounds above alluded to.

This document will complete the vouchers for the whole of the sums issued to me on account of Mangawhai, Waipu, and the Ruakaka, and I have accordingly to request a release from the charge of these sums of money.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., J.P.,
Land Commissioner, Auckland.

* Tirarau, Parore, Taurau, George King Tahua, Te Manihera, Toko, Karawai.