Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 61. — Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 61.
Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Whangarei.—Whanui and Taiharuru Blocks purchased.Whangarei, 2nd May, 1864.

Sir,—

In accordance with your letter of the 15th January last, authorizing me to negotiate the purchase of the Whanui and Taiharuru Blocks for any sum not exceeding. Two thousand pounds, I have now the honor to inform you that I succeeded last week in assembling the whole of the Natives interested in those blocks of land. After a short discussion, which, if prolonged, I saw would only lead to further complications and Total failure in my object, I made them a distinct offer of Two shillings per acre (£1,800) for the total acreage of the two blocks, viz., 17,849 acres. My offer was unanimously agreed to by the whole of the Natives present. On account of a disputed boundary, which, trifling in itself, I feared might lead to trouble, I subsequently promised a further payment of Fifty pounds, making a total amount of £1,850. Trusting that the arrangement I have made will meet with your approbation, I have now the honor to enclose a Requisition for your approval.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke,
District Commissioner.

The Hon. W. Fox,
Colonial Secretary.