Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 44. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

No. 44.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Kaiawa.A further Sum of £50 authorized for this Block.Chief Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 25th September, 1857.

Sir,—

Referring to your report of the 7th April, and 26th May, 1857, respecting the purchase of a small but valuable block of land at Parua, estimated to contain (1,372) Thirteen hundred and seventy-two acres, and for which you applied for and received authority to pay (£150) One hundred and fifty pounds, which amount I am since given to understand the Native owners will not accept, Hori King, the principal claimant, demanding Three hundred pounds (£300.)

The Natives are evidently aware of the importance of this position, situated as it is in the centre of 100,000 acres of Crown territory, and it is evident from what Tirarau informs me that a further, concession of Fifty pounds (£50) will be necessary to ensure a speedy and satisfactory completion of the purchase; under all the circumstances of the case, and considering the urgent necessity for acquiring this block without delay, His Excellency has directed me to cause a further advance of Fifty pounds (£50) to be made for this purchase, and you will be good enough to confer with Tirarau and have a conveyance of land in question made without further delay. The failure of the negotiation with Hori Tahua should have been reported to me at an earlier period. I have caused, a sum of Fifty pounds (£50) to make up the Two hundred pounds (£200) to be paid into your account at the Bank this day.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Land Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq., J.P.,
District Commissioner, Whangarei