Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 23. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 23.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Maunga Karamea.Respecting Reserves in the Block.District Commissioner's Office, Whangarei, 10th September, 1855.

Sir,—

With reference to my letter of the 24th-ultimo, reporting the state of the negotiatiohs for the Maunga Karamea Block, I have the honor to inform you, that I have arranged with the natives on the Block, and that three reserves will be repurchased by the natives, containing, as far as I am able to judge without survey, at Mangapai, eight hundred acres (800 acres); at Mahakitahi, twenty acres (20 acres); and at Tangihua, four hundred acres (400 acres). These are all bona fide for the use of the people residing thereon, who wish the deeds to be made out for them as tenants in common.

Maketu, Te Pirihi, Te Koni Koni, Te Reweti, Ngakapa, Ripeka.

page 68

Enclosed is a sketch of the block, showing the position of these Native| reserves, which, with the exeception of the 20-acre piece, would not from their intrinsic worth be purchased by E'uropeans, but are valued by the natives, wahi, tapus, &c., so that, the public rather profit by the transaction than otherwise.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson, District Commissioner, Whangarei.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commissioner, &c., Auckland.