Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 22. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 22.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Maunga Tapere.Recommending Purchase of Frontage,District Commissioner's Office, Whangarei, 10th September, 1855.

Sir,

You will perceive, on reference to the survey of the Maunga Tapere Block, at Whangarei, that a small strip of land along the bank of the Otaika river, containing some cultivations, has been excluded from the purchase by the natives.

The back country to the Otaika river is of such a nature that it is almost useless without this frontage, which it always was the intention of the chief Tirarau should be given into the Block, but to conciliate the natives living on the cultivations, the, cession was postponed for a time. During the recent negotiations for the Maunga Karamea Block, I made it part of the agreement for that block that the land in question should be given up for the sum of one hundred pounds (£100), and I' have now, the honor to request that I may be furnished with authority to expend that sum in the liquidation of this claim. A very good reason for making this purchase is, that so long as the natives have cultivations on the same side of the Otaika stream as the settlers who locate on the Maunga Tapere Block, the cattle of the latter will be trespassing on the crops of the natives, and it is advisable on that account to separate the one from the other by good natural boundaries if possible.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department.