Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Maunga Tapere.—Authorizing the Purchase of that Block.Land Purchase Office, Auckland, 9th January, 1855.

I have the honor to enclose herewith, for your information and guidance, the copy of a letter addressed to" this Office by the Honorable the Colonial Secretary, in reply to yours of the 20th of November last, having reference to the purchase of a block of land at Whangarei, comprising about Eighteen thousand acres, for the sum of Fifteen hundred pounds.

You will be gratified to learn that your recommendation has been approved of, and the purchase required to be completed with as little delay as possible.

In addition to the instructions laid down in the Colonial Secretary's letter of this day's date, I have only to add that the sum of Fifteen hundred pounds has been drawn and placed to your credit in the Union Bank of Australia; and in reference to its transmission to Whangarei, it has been considered advisable to wait for advice from yourself, since we have every reason to believe that your official duties have called you up to the district of Mahurangi.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean.

J. G. Johnson, Esq.,
District Commissioner,
Whangarei.