Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 3. — Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland

No. 3.
Lieut.-Colonel McDonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland.

HokiangaOmahuta Block. Auckland,

Sir,— Auckland,

7th April, 1873.

On my arrival at the Taheke, on the 22nd ultimo, I proceeded with Hone Mohi and others to Hokianga, to see the block of land called Omahuta, situate at the head of the Mangamuka river. We were joined at Herd's Point by other owners of the land who had been warned to meet us there, and the next day we went up the river, camped out, and the next morning we went over the block.

I can only give a rough idea of the acreage, and should say it was from 10,000 to 12,000 acres, more or less.

There is some very good rich land in the block, and some very indifferent—about equal proportions. There is a large quantity of kauri timber of first-class quality. I may say that a more magnificent kauri forest I have seldom seen, and much of it is available in the ordinary method of getting it to market.

Kauri gum is to be had in large quantities. The surface of the ground is in many places covered with it. I can recommend this block to the Government, if only for the very excellent timber and quantity of gum obtainable. I estimate the timber at many millions of feet.

The price for which the natives say they will sell is 12s. an acre, but from 2s. 6d. to 3s. will, I. think, be, taken. Private individuals might be inclined to give more.

If I may be allowed to make a suggestion, presuming this land is purchased by the Government, I would place settlers on this country that have been used to work at timber, such as Canadians or Nova Scotians. They could collect gum and timber a few days after they were located on their land, and so commence work that would not only provide them with the necessaries of life, but provide them also with a handsome surplus to improve their respective lots.

The boundaries of the block offered for sale are as under, commencing at the stream of Tahekeiti, and on to Te Tupapa, Karakarere, Te Wai o Pukekohe, Tuara Whakapai, Te Hutu, Paia, Katutu Te Ture, Te Papa, Te Piha Tauginoa, Rata Kumaru, Puke tawa, Ohawhe, Te Rakauhere, Rahui Kokoromiko, Te Kiripaka, Turangakou, Te Waiaira, joining again to Tahekeiti.

I have, &c.,

Thomas McDonnell.

The General Government Agent, Auckland.