Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure 5

Enclosure 5.

List of Lands awaiting Survey, Negotiations for which have commenced.
Name of Blocks. No. of Acres. Price. Money Advanced.
£ s. d. £ s. d.
Kohatuhupai
Manukau 0 1 6
Mangawhero 0 1 0 15 0 0
Otariru
Oporohu
Omahuta No. 5.
Pututumutumu 0 1 0 15 0 0
Pahikokuri
Tautaro 0 1 0 50 0 0
Tihitihi
Te Horo
Total carefully estimated at over 100,000 80 0 0

I have considered it advisable to leave the price of the above-mentioned blocks an open question until it is convenient for the District Officer to accompany me, when I have promised the Native owners to visit the ground and there conclude the matter in the presence of most of the Natives interested, though it is understood the land is not to average over 2s. per acre.

In going over the district map with Mr. Percy Smith, we have been able to estimate the area, and think there will be over 100,000 acres.

I think the blocks here mentioned of considerable importance, inasmuch as the land is above the average quality, and they close up present spaces, which would give large unbroken tracts of country to the Government.

The expense of survey would be very small in most cases, as two or three sides of each block are bounded by Government land.

Herd's Point,

June, 1875.

E. T. Brissenden.