Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Lieut-Colonel McDonnell to Major Green

page 46

Lieut-Colonel McDonnell to Major Green.

Hokianqa Land Purchase Transactions.Auckland, 13th January, 1875.

Sir,—

Having been requested by the Hon. Sir Donald McLean to send in an account of the different blocks of land North that I have been dealing for, I have the honor to forward the enclosed list of lands, with the advances that have been made upon them, which, I think, will be found to be correct.

With respect to the disputes about Otangaroa and thePatoa Blocks, I have the honor to state the following:—

On my arrival at Whangaroa, Mr. Clark, the surveyor, informed me he had been cautioned by Mr. Kelly not to survey Otangaroa and Patoa, as the natives had told him that any one surveying these lands would be shot; but Mr. Clark told me that such could not be the case, as Mr. Kelly was negotiating the same lands, for private parties. Before I left Whangaroa, a Mr. Simpson called upon me to say he had been sent by Mr. Kelly to survey these lands, and he showed me letters that he said were from Mr. Kelly to the natives. I feel myself Convinced that no opposition would have been offered to the survey unless the natives had thought, or had been led to suppose, they would get a better price than that offered by the Government.

I requested Mr. Simpson to return, and not attempt to survey the lands in question; and I left Whangaroa under the impression that the surveys for the Government would not be interferred with.

There are other blocks of land beside those mentioned by me that are being negotiated for by Mr. Brissenden and Mr. Charles Nelson, concerning a few of which I have had something to do, but I have on this paper confined myself to those blocks in which I was directly concerned.

I have, &c.,
Thos. McDonnell,
Land Purchase Officer.

Major Green, General Government Agent.