Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — Mr Commissioner Kemp tor the Chief Commissioner

page 22

No. 7.
Mr Commissioner Kemp tor the Chief Commissioner

Greneralr Report District Commissioner's Office, Waimate, Bay of Islands, 6th April, 1856.

Sir,—

Agreeably with the request contained in your circular, I have the honor to enclose a statement connected "with land purchases for the information of His Excellency the Governor.

With reference to the 3rd paragraph of that circularj I beg to state that all deeds or other documents connected with the transfer, of land in this district have already been transmitted to the Land Purchase Office at Auckland, accompanied by duly certified translations, and, in reference to the last clause, have to report generally upon the state of the natives as follows:—
1.The Natives in this District are, generally speaking, peaceably inclined, and I think well disposed towards the Government; at the same time, it is very apparent that they have made, but little advance in-civilization, owing probably to the limited trade that is carried on, compared with other districts more frequented by shipping, and where the number of European settlers is more numerous.
2.Native customs are also now in more repute than they were a few years ago; but the obserance of them is strictly confined to themselves, and does not in any way interfere with the Europeans.
3.In a moral point of view, no improvement is visible, and the habit of intemperance prevails in almost all districts where spirits are to be obtained; they are, moreover, lax in the outward obserances of Eeligion, whereas, in the earlier stages of the Colony, their attendance was regular and punctual, and its influence very generally, and very beneficially, felt; some allowance is, I think, to be made, when it is considered that the Missionary agency has been reduced to a comparatively small and feeble body.
4.A tacit assent to British law, I think, everywhere exists; practically, it cannot be said to be in operation amongst the mass of the native people; notwithstanding this, but little real crime is committed. Fortunately, the distribution of the pensions to several worthy Chiefs have been the means of checking the more turbulent spirits, while at the same time the services of several intelligent Chiefs of rank have been given to the Government authorities without any return, and often at personal inconvenience and loss. Pene Taui, whose death I reported, was one of that number.
5.Maize, potatoes, and pigs are raised in quantities only sufficient for then: own wants, a small quantity of wheat is shipped from the western coast; but kauri gum, the article nowiri demand by the merchants in Auckland, forms a source of profitable employment.

In the districts of Mangonui arid Kaitaia, for example, an order for five hundred (500) tents has recently been sent by the natives to Auckland, to afford them shelter at the diggings, should the rainy season overtake them. They have, a few cattle, but horses are numerous.

6.The supply of arms and ammunition is, generally speaking, kept up amongst the different tribes, but more, I think, as weapons of defence against each other. It is difficult to trace from whence the supply is obtained, since great secrecy prevails on this subject.
7.Land is offered for sale in almost every part of the district, but not in very large blocks, perhaps from one to five thousand (1,000 to 5,000) acres, having an eqnal proportion of good and bad soils, and in some parts very fine, timber. Assuming that an efficient purchasing agency were at work, and that cash could be tendered to the natives on the spot, and that without delay, the price to be paid would be but trifling compared with what it may be under the present system, and at the same time the whole of the surplus land be in a few years transferred to the Crown, and so long too as the preemptive right of purchase rested entirely in the hands of the Governor. If however direct purchases were sanctioned by private parties, the prices realized by the natives would no doubt be nominally much larger; but, nevertheless, barter of this kind would be so much mixed up with other trading operations, that in many cases the natives would be deeply plunged into debt, in the shape of mortgages upon the land, thereby causing quarrels amongst themselves, and entailing annoyance, expense, and trouble to the Government. Of the importance of surveys, whether as regards the. Government, the settlers, or the aboriginal owners, the past, present, or future dealings with the natives for land, it would, I think, be impossible to speak too strongly. The Government is hardly aware of the extent of its possessions, the native title to which has been-extinguished many years since, • and taken for scrip: but as no surveys have been made, and many of the original sellers have been removed, by deathor other causes, same difficulty-will be found in reclaiming this land; henco It is that the greatest care and caution is requisite in fixing the boundaries of such blocks as are now being offered for sale; one great object indeed has been, to unite, as well as to extend, the 'property of the-Government, and as these purchases proceed, to elicit from the natives an acknowledgement of the title of the Crown to lands they originally sold to the Europeans under the arrangements above mentioned.

Hoping this imperfect outline will meet with His Excellency's approval.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner, Bay of Islands.

The Principal Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.