Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 42. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the.Native Secretary

No. 42.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the.Native Secretary.

Ruapekapeka Block.

Sir,—

District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 16th June, 1864.

I do myself the honor to report, for the information of the Government, that the sum of Three thousand eight hundred pounds (£3,800) was paid to the natives for the Ruapekapeka Block, and the deed duly signed by them on the 11th instant at Waiomio, the residence of the chief, Marsh Brown Kawhiti.

Payment made.

I was accompanied on this mission by Mr. Barstow, R.M., who kindly gave me his assistance, and, after the usual formalities and speaking, the division of the money to the principal Hapus was unanimously decided upon, and finally handed to them in the presence of the whole of the natives assembled.

Right of Road secured.

I have the honor to report further that, in concluding this purchase, a right of road has been agreed upon and secured over any part of the block, but more particularly with reference to the coal field, and the construction of a tramway, which in all probability would have to pass through native reserves and other Maori land to the proper landing.

I big also to add that throughout these proceedings Kawhiti gave us his help, and otherwise conducted himself in a manner becoming a chief, whose influence is felt and fully recognised by the largest number of Hapus in the districts north of Auckland.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp, District Commissioner.

Edward Shortland, Esq. Native Secretary.