Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 35. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 35.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting purchase of the KawakawaBlock. District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 10th June, 1859.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to report, for the information of His Excellency, the Governor, that as soon as the plan was prepared by the Surveyor, I proceeded on the 29th ult to pay for the Kawa Kawa Block, accompanied by Mr. Clendon, the Besident Magistrate, Tamati Waka, and several of the Native Assessors.

2.After several addresses had been made by the Chiefs, as is the customs on these occasions, the Chief Marsh Brown Kawiti stated his unwillingness to receive the sum of Two thousand pounds (£2,000), which had been fixed by the Government as a fair and reasonable payment for the Block.
3.I have before reported that this Block was divided into two portions, one on the North bank of the river Kawa Kawa, the other on the South; Marsh Brown's claims being chiefly confined to the Southern portion. The two Blocks in point of value are nearly equal, but not in extent.page 34
4.The proceedings were finally brought to a close by the Chiefs Tamati Pukututu, George, Renata, and others, who accepted the sum of (£1,000) One thousand pounds for the North side, which was paid to them and their followers, the Deed of Sale for that portion having been executed on the 2nd instant, The North side comprises the finest part of the land in the entire Block, and is a valuable addition to the Crown Lands in this District.

I trust that these arrangements will meet with the approval of his Excellency the Governor.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.