Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 32. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

page 33

No. 32.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Forwarding Deed of Conveyance. District Commissioner's Office,
Bay of Islands, 20th Janury, 1859.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to transmit herewith the original Deed of the Mawhe or Lake Block, executed by the native chiefs on the 8th day of December, 1858. The block, which contains nearly five thousand (5,000) acres, is in many respects available. It is well situated, and connects, to a considerable extent, the lands over which the native title had already been extinguished by the Government and by private persons.

The price originally asked by the natives was, I regret to say, unreasonably high; but finally, after several months' deliberation, with the assistance of Tamati Waka, the sum of Four hundred and fifty pounds (£450) was fixed and paid—an amount less than was offered by Sir George Grey when His Excellency had it in contemplation to form a strong military position on the borders of the lake. I trust that it will be found, when surveyed, to be a desirable location for a small body of settlers, and may, in other respects, realize the wishes and expectations of the General Government, in whose hands, as a Reserve, it may be well recommended.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.