Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 30. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 30.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Hauotapiri, Kaiva, Rawa. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, December, December, 1858.

Sir,—

Adverting to my letter of the 2nd October, No. 29, and to yours of the 20th of the same month, No. 225, in reference to the surveys of the Hauotapiri and Kawa Kawa Blocks, I regret to have to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that the sellers in the first case, havingchanged their minds, are not willing to part with that small Block, as will be seen by their letter, a copy of which is herewith enclosed.

2.With reference to the negotiations for the Blocks on the North and South banks of the Kawa Kawa, the former known as Pukekohe, the latter as Ruapekapeka, I have the honor to report that thenative sellers have from the first considered the sums offered to them, viz., Three hundred pounds (£300) for each block, as too low. At a rough estimate of the quantity, and taking into account the position of the land, the quality of the soil, with the average prices paid for other Blocks, I have thought the sums named to be liberal offers.
3.As some difference of opinion existed as to the quantity as well as the quality of the lands offered, I thought it my duty to enter upon a further examination, which I accordingly did, accompanied by the surveyor, Mr. Kempthome, whose report I now enclose, together with a sketch indicating the Blocks as originally offered, and the furthea extension of boundaries, at my own suggestion, with a view to a larger sum being offered to the natives, as well as to simplify the surveys.
4.I have further to report that the claimants (who are all of one tribe) having agreed to the suggestion made to them, I offered them on the spot the sum of One thousand pounds (£1000), subject to the approval of His Excellency the Governor, for the two Blocks thrown into one, as shown upon the sketch, and to survey their reserves for them; the entire Block averaging from eighteen to twenty thousand acres (18,000 to 20,000 acres).
5.This offer, which I thought a liberal one, taking all things into consideration, they have also declined, I therefore now beg leave to submit the case for the consideration of the Government, and to ask whether I may be authorized to offer the Natives a larger sum than that named; and, if so, to what amount ? I should be glad to receive the instructions of the Government on this point.

The position of the Block commends it to favorable consideration, and probably it may become of value in connection with a settlement in that neighbourhood. I propose, therefore, to suspend negotiations until I receive the pleasure of the Government thereupon.

I have, &c.,
H. T. Kemp.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.