Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 2. — Native Meeting at the Bay of Islands

No. 2.
Native Meeting at the Bay of Islands.

27th June, 1854. Second Payment for Kororareka demanded. Bay of Islands.

(From our own Correspondent.)

On the 27th ultimo (June) the usual quietness of Kororareka was strangely varied by thesudden appearance of a gay flotilla of canoes, thronged with some hundreds of half-armed natives, mostly of the late Kawhiii's tribe, who came to demand a second payment for the whole extent of the township: The late purchase from the natives, at Whangarei, of Mr. Busby's claim, by the Government, seems to be the chief precedent on which this preposterous demand is founded, as has been unhesitatingly stated by some of the natives themselves. A general meeting and proper audience were, however, demanded, and Mr. Clendon, the Police, Magistrate, together with Mr. Duncan, the Government Interpreter, and the whole staff of the police (only two) duly met them in the Court House, to hear, and, if possible, adjust their grievances. The nature of the claim will be found in the proceedings of the meeting, which were as follow:—

Te Huhanga (son of Kawhiti).— My father being dead I stand now in his place, and come forward to see Kawhiti's words fulfilled. When my father was alive he came here and asked a question, which question this meeting is now called upon to hear and answer. The question is asked that the remains of Kororareka be either given up, or-payment given for it That is all I have to say.

Seven other natives spoke to the same effect.

Mr. Clendon replied as follows:—Eight chiefs have stood up and spoken. All they have said is, that they want payment for Kororareka. Not one of them has given any reason for making that demand. WHea one makes any claim he should be able to give a just cause why a claim should be complied with. If the present claimants held the land at any former period, how, have they lost possession ? When the' whites came hither they found certain natives in possession of Kororareka. These Natives sold the land, and received payment in full, to their own perfect satisfaction. A Governor afterwards came, who appointed Commissioners to investigate all the land claims, and settle all page 19disputes. The Commissioners accordingly settled all questions arising out of every claim submitted to them; but not a single word about the present claim was ever hinted to them,—nay—even to the present moment, although fourteen years have since elapsed; for this is the first time it has been brought forward. If the present claim is just, why was it not submitted to the Commissioners, when all concerned were well aware of their being here, for the very purpose of settling disputes?

Keirangatira.—We knew no better then,—we were foolish.

Mr. Clendon continued:—The Government was pleased with the proceedings of the Commissioners and gave Crown letters, or grants, for the settled claims. The holders of such grants are therefore free from any further payments for the lands so granted. Any after claims must-be made, to the Government that issue such grants, and not to the recipients. Most of those who sold and thos who purchased the land are now gone, leaving the third and fourth occupiers generally the present holders.

Kairangatira.—We never received any payment for the land.

Mr. Clendon.—But those who sold it received full payment. For how much of the land is payment now claimed ?

Kairangatira.—For all Kororareka.

Mr. Clendon.—Who sold it?

Te Kuhanga.—Pawai, Manganui, and others sold it.?

Mr.Clendon.—How did they come, to sell it, if your claim is just,—if you owned the land ?

Te Kuhanga.—I don't know. I am a young man, and only repeat what I hear from the aged. A war took place, and the land was left by my grandfather that bloodshed might cease; and also in return for the slain.

Mr. Clendon.—When I came here first the land was possessed by Keri' Keri and his tribe. No white man except Jack Poynter was here. Mr. Duke afterwards built, a house, having paid £100 for the ground. Before I went away there was a fight. After the-fight I went away. When I came back I found Titori, Manu, Moka, and Wharerahi in possession of the land. They said the land belonged, to Pomare and others. I bought my land from Pomare; I then went to England, and when I came back I found the whites buying land. Since then there has never been any dispute; and the whites who had purchased the land, received the Queen's letter. They have therefore no more payment to make. Now you have only two people to deal with, the Government and the party who sold the land. Some portion of Kororareka is yet in possession of the Ngapuhi natives, and perhaps you might feel inclined for a compromise, by inducing them to sell it to the Government, and share with you the proceeds. I will send all you say to the Governor, and am only ashamed that you have given me no reason to forward, in company with your demand: If you had explained your reasons, I might possibly have admitted that they were just.

Kairangatira.—It is your own fault.

Mr. Clendon.—How?

Kairangatira—(after along pause).— We persist in demanding payment.

Mr. Clendon.—The occupiers cannot reasonably be expected to pay twice for their lands.

Hoterine then explaiued the nature of the present claim. It seems that a battle having occurred between Kawhiti (the original possessor) and Manu, Moka, and Wharerahi's tribes, the former, from the persuasion of his friends, to prevent further bloodshed, vacated- Kororareka; and the others, having thus got possession, held, and sold the land. The latter maintain that the place was not vacated merely for the prevention of bloodshed, but was fairly conceded to them as conquerors, ia remuneration for those of their tribe who had fallen in battle. The speaker further stated that the Government had given numberless precedents for double payments in the South.

Mr. Duncan explained that these were merely successive instalments of the original amounts agreed to be paid.

Wikiriwhi said that, they only fulfilled the dying words of Kawhiti, in urging the present demand.

Mr. Clendon.—Here is a native who denies your claim, and how can I settle that claim until you settle the question first among yourselves., Arrange that first, and then apply to the, Governor. He is a good man, and will readily pay the utmost attention to all your just demands.

Te Kahanga.—One moment more. I still persist in my claim, and will continue to do so in fulfilment of the dying words of my father. I make no noise or disturbance about my own lands elsewhere.

George King (another chief), said he was sorry to hear that the present police were to be removed. They had given perfect satisfaction to the natives; and, if they were to be replaced by strangers, many troubles, quarrels, and disputes might occur between both races through their inefficiency.

Two other chiefs made similar remarks.

Another chief wished the delinquent natives not to be imprisoned previous to conviction, as, he said, was the custom in Auckland, where he knew of a native to be locked up, for, the night and acquitted next day. He had no, objection to their being imprisoned, and well punished when proved guilty.

Mr. Clendon then thanked the several chiefs for their orderly behaviour during the proceedings; and the meeting dispersed.

After the meeting a kind of ex ofjicio debate was conducted in the open air, when the question of war between the sellers of the land and present claimants was warmly canvassed, but ultimately abandoned for the jorohahly more beneficial project of appealing to the Government, on the Whangarei principle of double payments. In the meantime the claimants intend to address the Officer administering the Government upon the subject; and have postponed their next meeting at Kororareka for two months, that; all parties may have full time to learn the result of their negotiations. What comes next must wholly depend, therefore, on the degree of wisdom with which this ridiculous claim, will be encountered by the heads of the present administration. Some of the claimants go as high as £5,000 in their demand, and threaten immediate occupation, war, &c., with all the bombast of a Gascon; but the large majority are far more moderate in both their demand, and reference to future proceedings—New Zealander.