Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Kemp

page 5

No. 7.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Kemp.

Forwarding Mr. Commissioner Johnson's Report on Oruru. Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 31st July, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor to transmit for your information and guidance a copy of Mr. Johnson's report on the claims adduced by the Ngapuhi and Rarawa Tribes to the Oruru Valley.

I think it is necessary that you should be furnished with a copy of this report, as the Resident Magistrate (Mr. White,) informs me that the settlers at Oruru may be subject to annoyance from Pororua, Tipene, and other claimants, if this question is not speedily settled; and I am now bringing under the notice of His Excellency the propriety of your proceeding to Mangonui to effect a final adjustment of these claims.

In the meantime, and pending His Excellency's authority for undertaking this duty, I shall feel obliged by your fully acquainting yourself with the merits of this case, in order that you may guard against any future claims being adduced to this debateable territory, beyond those stated in the enclosures herewith.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq.,
District Commissioner, Bay of Islands.