Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 4. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 4.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Relative to Land for Canadian Settlers. District Commissioner's Office, Waimate, Bay of Islands, 11th April, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that I have just returned from visiting the districts to the northward of the Bay of Islands.

Agreeably with the request contained in your letter, my attention was directed towards the acquisition of the Victoria Valley, upon which to establish' a body of Canadians under the agency of Dr. Stratford.

The valley of the Victoria, better known to the natives as Takahue, is situated on the northern side of the Rua Taniwa Range, and about midway between the Oruru Valley and the western coast, the two valleys being separated by a bush of from seven to eight miles in length, which I traversed, and through which a road might be easily opened up, thereby connecting the two districts, and thus forming a nearly direct line of communication with the Harbour of Mangonui, the principal port of safety in that part of the island. The Victoria Valley is nearly triangular in shape, is well watered, and skirted with excellent timber, the soil of a rich alluvial deposit, and, at a rough estimate, may bc said to contain about twenty thousand (20,000) acres. A large portion of it has been under cultivation by the natives, and there exist at present some few scattered plantations of no very large extent.

Noble Panakareao, the chief of the Rarawa Tribe, is the principal owner of the valley, and upon my expressing a desire to visit it, he informed me that it had never been offered for sale, that it was more than probable it would be required for the use of the natives, whenever the surrounding districts shall have been purchased by the Government. At the same time he led me to infer that a large price, would be asked if the Crown should propose to buy.

I regret that, owing to the very sudden and serious illness of Noble, further enquiries have been postponed; but, judging from what I have heard in other influential quarters, I think a sum of £3,000 (three thousand pounds) if the money were on the spot, and a few reserves, comprising in all about two thousand (2,000) acres, would effect the purchase.

Of its importance taken in conjunction with the settlements of Oruru and Mangonui, there seems to be no doubt, and that a large portion of it would be taken up at once by settlers, if the native title were extinguished.

It is decidedly the finest district in that part of the Province, and presents great facilities for settling. If His Excellency should deem it advisable to make an offer of the sum above-mentioned, I think it might be done without prejudice to either party; but I would respectfully urge, as a prior arrangement, that the long outstanding claims for the Valley of Oruru should be brought to a final and amicable conclusion.

I have,&c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Principal Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.