Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 27. — Mr. Commisioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 27.
Mr. Commisioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Completion of the Purchase of Hilairaiigi Block. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 14th April, 1861.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to report for the information of His Excellency the Governor, that I recently proceeded to the Districts of Mangonui and Whangaroa, carrying with me the sum of two hundred and fifty pounds (£250), the amount agreed upon for the purchase of the Hikurangi Block, which was duly paid to the native claimants, in the presence of the Resident Magistrate and other officers of the Government. During my stay at Mangonui I accompanied Mr. White to Whangaroa, for the purpose of holding a Circuit Court. I availed myself of this opportunity to hold a final meeting of the principal chiefs concerned in the sale of a considerable block, of land at the head of the Whangaroa Harbour, estimated to contain from thirty to thirty-five thousand acres (30 to 35,000-acres). For the block. I have been some time in treaty. Apart from its other advantages, its acquisition would be very desirable as connecting the whole of the public lands between the Bay of Islands and Mangonui, and is the only intervening block over which the native title has not been extinguished. Owing to the death of the principal chief, Ururoa, of the district, our arrangements have been interrupted, and the purchase will in consequence be delayed for some time. I proposed to the chiefs, as a safe way of ascertaining all claims, that they should with their own people first cut the lines (for which some allowance should be made at the time of offering the payment); and that the Government would undertake to furnish, a surveyor. They promised to give a reply on a recon sideration of the proposal there made. During the holding of the Court, the state of the country and other political, subjects, were freely discussed by the chiefs; and in reply to many questions put by them, Mr. White and myself furnished them with such inforcnation as we were able, and thought suitable under the circumstances

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner,
Land Purchase Department, Auckland.