Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner

No. 14.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Chief Commissioner.

Respecting the Prices fixed for Blocks near the North Cape. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 7th December, 1857.

Sir,—

Agreeably with the instructions contained in your letter No. 216, 26th September, 1857, authorizing me to carry out the negotiations for certain Blocks of land in the northern part of this district on the most economical terms, I have the honor to, report for the information of His Excellency's Government that the following sums of money have been fixed upon in payment for the several blocks alluded to, viz.:—

Acres.£s.d.
No. 1. Muriwhenua (South)86,8851,10000
No. 2. Wharemaru, joining the above13,55540000
Shipland within the boundaries, Stephenson's claim2,482
No. 3. Otengi, adjoining Government Block of Oruru and Mangonui.2,72223000

Total acreage—One hundred and five thousand six hundred and forty-four acres (105,644)

Total amount required—One thousand seven hundred and thirty pounds sterling (£1,730).

The plan, which is to be forwarded by first safe conveyance direct from Mangonui, will show the purchase in its compact form, and, from its position and other advantages, will make it, I trust, a valuable addition to the Crown lands of the district. All the proceedings connected with the fixing of these sums have been carried out in the most public manner, on the spot, in which I enjoyed the benefit of Mr. White's advice and assistance, who travelled with me; and, while the sums named are as economical as they could be expected, we both have every reason for believing that, if approved by His Excellency, they will give satisfaction to the whole of the native sellers, and help to pave the way for future negotiations.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Chief Commissioner, Land Purchase Department, Auckland.