Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 1. — The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 364

No. 1.
The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Bay of Plenty.Mr. Edward Shortland's Communication. Protector's Office,
Auckland, 17th May, 1843.

Sir,—

Mr. Edward Shortland, of this Department, having written to me on the subject of the anxiety expressed by the Natives of his District for the completion of the purchase of certain portions of land which have been some time under offer to Her Majesty's Government, I do myself the honor to bring the subjoined extract from Mr. Shortland's communication under the notice of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government, requesting you will have the goodness to convey to me His Excellency's opinion of the proposition recommended therein:—

His Remarks on Purchasing Land there.

"The principal chiefs of that district have already addressed several letters to His Excellency on the subject, and are beginning to feel disappointed at receiving only promises. They have lately made a formal peace with the Ngatihaua, formerly their bitter enemy, so that lands to which persons in both tribes have a claim can now be disposed of with the mutual consent of the parties interested, and without risk of strife."

Deposit recommended.

In case His Excellency does not deem it expedient to purchase these lands, at present, I would beg leave to suggest that a small deposit be paid thereon, in order that some assurance may be given that Europeans will hereafter settle amongst them. This people are well aware of the advantages to be derived from that source; and this feeling appears to be their strongest motive for relinquishing their old habits of violence, and yielding to us to compose their animosities.

I take the liberty to recommend that the following payments be authorized, viz.:—

One cask of tobacco for Ngarata and party.
Do. do. Te Awe do.
Do. do. Te Hau do.

As a deposit on lands offered by them to Her Majesty.

I have, &c.,

Thomas S. Forsaith
(for Chief Protector).

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.