Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 6.]

page 354

No. 6.

Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

General Report.—Forwarding a Return of Lands Surveyed in his District. Whaingaroa, 16th November, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 22nd ult, and to enclose herewith a list of the different blocks of land surveyed in this district, with the amount of instalments paid on each, and the probable sum required to complete those purchases.

The negotition for the Karioi and Ruapuke Blocks is completed, and the Natives residing in the interior, whose claims are in a measure distinct from the resident owners, are waiting a reply from you, to know whether their claims will be entertained in Auckland before treating with me.

There are several small blocks of land, commanding good positions, near Whaingaroa and Aotea, which have been offered to the Government, but no payments have been made on them, and the survey is not yet executed.

It appears to me desirable that this land should be purchased without delay, as the settlers are increasing in number, and giving a high value to land easy of access.

I am of opinion that the negotiation for this land will be unsuccessful, unless a higher rate per acre be authorized than that limited by your letter of the 14th July last.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

D. McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner.

Enclosure.
Land Surveyed in the District of Whaingaroa on which Instalments have been Paid.

Name of Block. Area. Amount of Instalments Paid. Amount required to complete the purchase.
Acres. £ £
Karioi 12,000 500 75
Ruapuke 6,000 10 290
Hauraki 900 50 150
Tawatahi 4,000 100 300
Part of Mata Reserve 450
   Do. do. 180 107 25
Oioroa 1,300 100
The Wharauroa; inland boundary not yet perambulated about 8,000 200 300
Several blocks not yet surveyed about 8,000 800
40,830 1,940