Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 4. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 4.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Hauraki.Reporting on its purchase. Whaingaroa, 13th October, 1855.

Sir,

I have the honor to submit to you, for the information of His Excellency the Governor, the following report on the Hauraki purchase.

Hauraki is situated in the Whaingaroa Harbour, and affords anchorage for vessels of moderate size off several points of the land as far inland as the entrance to Waitetuna River. It has altogether about six miles of water frontage, the greater part of which, however, is approachable only by boat at high water. It contains nine hundred acres (900) more or less, including one Native reserve about sixteen acres.

The features of the land are a number of low undulating ridges of hills, running from the centre towards the water's edge, with occasional flat valleys intervening; the whole of which is covered with fern, manuka scrub, and light bush, and the soil appears to be of superior quality.

The chief Potatau has received the sum of Fifty pounds (£50) on 25th July, 1854, as a first payment for the same.

The principal claimants residing in the district are two parties who dispute each other's right to 200 acres. With a view to settle the difference between these people, I proposed that they should meet and discuss the question in the presence of the resident missionary, to which they agreed; but the Ngatimahanga claimants only attended, who demanded Fifty pounds (£50) for their portion of the payment. I offered them Ten pounds (£10), which was refused.

The Ngatitamainu claimants, relatives of Te Wherowhero, who are, in my opinion, the real owners of the land in dispute, expressed to me their intention of visiting Auckland soon, for the purpose of arranging with you for their claims.

The enclosed sketch plan will explain more distinctly the boundaries of the land referred to.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commissioner, Auckland.