Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[XI.—Waikato district.]

page 346

XI.—Waikato district.

No. 1.
Mr. Interpreter Johnson to the Native Secretary.

Ramarama Purchase completed. Onewhero, Waikato, 27th December, 1852.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report to you that, in accordance with the instructions contained in the Hon. the Colonial Secretary's blank cover No.—, dated the 7th December, I have marked and settled the boundaries of the Ramarama purchase with the original Native sellers and the owners of the adjoining land, according to the enclosed plan, taken by magnetic bearings, with estimated distances; and that this block, containing about 18,000 acres, is now ready for the Assistant-Surveyor to proceed with the survey.

These boundaries are strictly in accordance with the description given by Jabez Bunting at the date of the purchase in 1844.

Tapu on Road.

I have been requested by the inhabitants of this district, both Europeans and Natives, to represent to His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor the great inconvenience they experience from the tapu placed on the old road to Waikato, and the threatened shutting-up of the present very important pathway, which has been made by the private enterprise of a few individual Natives who are not disposed to allow it to be made available by the public; and to express their hopes that His Excellency would cause one of the survey lines to be cut, of sufficient width to be made available as a path to the river, as everything of the sort attempted on other except Crown land is subject to be closed in a similar manner at the caprice of the Native owners of the ground.

The eastern boundary line of this block is a shorter cut across the ranges and a more direct route into the interior than any other which I have yet seen.

I have, &c.,

John G. Johnson,
Interpreter.

The Native Secretary, &c.

No. 2.

Ramarama Block. Native Secretary's Office, 4th April, 1853.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that I proceeded to Slippery Creek to point out the boundaries of the Ramarama Block to the Contract Surveyor, on the 18th ult., as directed in the Hon. the Colonial Secretary's minute, 53/510. On arriving at the spot, I found the surveyor, Mr. Hogan, who had preceded me, returning to town, news having reached him that the Pensioner force, of which he is a member, had been called out to the annual drill. Pending his return from town (whither he had proceeded to obtain leave of absence), I complied with the Surveyor-General's request, and held several interviews with original sellers of the Pukekohe Block, and also with the claimant Isaac, the result of which I have communicated to the Surveyor-General.

On the 26th I rejoined the Contract Surveyor who had returned from town, and traversed the boundary in company with him through the bush, by compass, when it was practicable, and pointed it out from the neighbouring heights when it was not so. On the 30th and 31st ultimo we completed the side bordering on the Waikato River and Mangatawhiri Creek, and arrived in Auckland on the 2nd instant.

The new road between the Mangatawhiri Creek at Pokeno and Ramarama is about half way through, and will unite with the road from Slippery Creek in fourteen days.

I have, &c.,

John G. Johnson,
Interpreter.

The Native Secretary, &c., &c.,
Auckland.

No. 3.

Respecting Te Puni, Paraheka, and Te Roto. Watapaka, 19th April, 1853.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that, in accordance with the arrangement entered into with the Surveyor-General in Auckland, I went on the 7th instant to the Slippery Creek to meet Epiha for the purpose of settling with him the boundary of Te Puni, purchased from Ngatiteata, which he disputes, but, that chief not appearing by the 9th instant, I took the opportunity of visiting Mohi, who was in the neighbourhood, and, having been joined in the meantime by Mr. Ormsby, the Contract Surveyor, we proceeded to the place and defined and settled finally the boundaries of the Paraheka and Roto purchases with the Natives of Patumahoe, the adjoining district.

page 347

Those two blocks are estimated to contain about 7,000 acres, and are for the most part available for agriculture. The Puni is the tract of land abutting on the Roto, and extending to the River Waikato; and I thought it so desirable to get the boundaries of this place also settled (so that a definite line could be drawn on this side to the Waikato between the Crown and Native lands) that I returned on the 12th instant to Pukaki and Mangere to persuade Epiha to keep his word and accompany me to the Puni for that purpose.

To this Epiha would have complied had he not been compelled to accompany Te Whero Whero to Waikato, where some important affairs amongst themselves required his presence; he however deputed a young man named Pera (one of the owners of the Puni) to go with me; this, Pera was preparing to do when the arrival of a summons from the Resident Magistrate at Auckland for him to appear as witness in a civil case between two Europeans, on the 21st instant, prevented him.

Tuakau Reserve.

The negotiations, together with the stormy state of the weather, prevented me recrossing the Manukau till the 17th instant, and I am now going (according to the Surveyor-General's directions) to point out the boundaries of the Tuakau Reserve and Ramarama to Mr. Ormsby, and intend on my return to call at Pukaki for Pera and settle the boundary of the Puni, if possible, before my return, unless sooner directed by yourself to come back.

The rainy weather and flooded state of the creeks so retard our movements that I am unable to inform you as to the date of my probable absence.

I have, &c.,

John G. Johnson,
Interpreter.

The Native Secretary, &c.

No. 4.

Ramarama.Its Boundaries defined. Native Secretary's Office, 30th April, 1853.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that, in accordance with the intention expressed in my letter, dated the 19th instant, I proceeded to the Waikato and perambulated the boundaries of the Ramarama purchase with Mr. Ormsby, the Contract Surveyor, and returned to Pukaki on the 28tn instant.

Te Puni.

The outstanding claimants against the Puni, who were then to have accompanied me to that place, being in town, I returned, and have since seen them here. They state their willingness to settle the boundaries and outstanding claim on that place, so soon as a Government officer is sent to accompany them to the spot.

I have, &c.,

John G. Johnson,
Interpreter.

Native Secretary, &c., &c., Auckland.

No. 5.

Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Waikato.Reporting on his mission. Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 6th October, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that I have returned from Waikato, whither I had proceeded to endeavour to arrange for the blocks, which have been partially negotiated on that river, in accordance with your letter of the 26th August last.

In obedience to your request, I not only carried the goodwill and advice of our ally Te Whero-whero with me, but also a young chief named Seth, a relation of his, and an influential body of Natives from Pukaki and Ihumatao, being mostly composed of the sellers of the land; but, notwithstanding these measures, I regret to state that I was unable to obtain possession of any part, or finally to complete any of the purchases on the river. The difficulties are of two distinct natures, being 1st, those attending the claims of different tribes to the same piece of land; and 2nd, the obstructions opposed by a confederated body of chiefs in Waikato, who have laid a tapu preventing the sale of the country within certain boundaries. The lands partially purchased at Wairere and the Koheroa are encumbered with the former difficulty, and the other purchases are within the line of the country tapued by the Waikato chiefs. On arriving at Tuakau, the sale of the Wairere by Waata Kukutai was first discussed, and I should say from what transpired that Waata had no claim over the land. Tomo of Ngatipo, Paul of the Ngatikahu, and Pikiho of the Pokeno tribe, were admitted to be the rightful owners, but I could not get them to join in a sale. The Pokeno tribe offered to sell their claims, but the limited extent, and large expectations of the sellers, did not warrant me in making a purchase subject to a conflicting claim by the. Ngatipo. Nini, one of the chiefs of Ngatitipa, was present; he stated that he regretted very much that Waata should have sold land belonging to Ngatipo, and recommended that the money be returned. This, of course, I did not feel justified in accepting, in case it might furnish a dangerous precedent; but I informed him that Waata must explain his conduct to yourself.

The Koheroa was next examined, and the claims of Ihaia and party who sold to the Government seemed so well supported, that I fully anticipated the completion of this purchase, and we accordingly proceeded to the ground and traversed the boundaries and marked the extreme northern end, which page 348 is a narrow neck of land. The Koheroa is a peninsula in the swamps which form the beds of the Mangatawhiri and Whangamarino tributaries of the Waikato, and might contain about Eight thousand acres of dry land. In addition to the former instalment, I offered the parties concerned a further sum of Three hundred pounds, and although they expressed dissatisfaction at the smallness of this amount, and stated their determination of endeavouring to procure your sanction to giving them a larger sum, I have no doubt but that they will accept it.

The counter claim of the chief Atua of Ngatipo, however, presents an obstacle even to the adjustment of this claim, and the Ngatitamaoho must, by promising to admit Te Atua's party in the final payment, procure his withdrawal of his demands (if they cannot do so without), before I should feel inclined to recommend the payment of any more money on this account. From all I have been able to learn, Te Atua's claims are not well grounded, and I believe that they were, at one time considered finally extinguished by the sale of the Koheroa to Mr. Marshall, and the only reason for admitting his claim at all appears to be that the purchase may turn out not to have been finally completed by Marshall.

All the other purchases named in the margin* are encumbered with the second class of difficulties, viz.: the tapu of the country by the Waikato chiefs in which the said lands are situated; the sellers to the Government have all valid claims, more or less but they are to blame, inasmuch as they knew at the time of sale that they were unable to give possession of the land. The whole of the south bank of the Waikato from Taupo and the north bank, from its confluence with the Whangamarino and up that river to its source, is placed under a tapu. Our party were followed by the Waikato tribes, to the number of one hundred and fifty men, and were absolutely prevented crossing the aforesaid boundaries. Their arms were left at Mere Mere, and as I had good reason to believe that our proceeding to take possession of the lands would have ended seriously, I at once desisted from the attempt.

That this movement is nothing new, and has not been brought about by the late transactions of this department, you will perceive by an extract of a report which I had the honor to make to the Government in June 1853, enclosed herewith, but I would not conceal the fact that this confederation is gradually assuming a more extended influence and a bolder demeanour. The Anti-European feeling they profess to have, I am inclined to think, is not real, but merely put on to increase their number, as that plea always gets the adhesion of discontented individuals of every tribe, the true cause of the movement being the following: Nga tangata o waho, or the Natives of Manukau, Te Whero-whero, Katipa, Wetere, Moses, Isaac, Aihepene, Poharama, and their respective, tribes, all lived originally in Waikato, or had possessions there. After the settlement of Auckland commenced, they gradually frequented less and less the Waikato, and have now permanently settled in the neighbourhood of the town, after selling the districts round Waitemata and Manukau, and as the Waikato chiefs assert, did not give them a fair share of the payment which their joint origin entitled them to receive. Nga tangata o waho, or the men living at the sea, in contra-distinction to those residing up the river, have not all their claims in Waikato in one block, or in one district, but they are scattered over the length and breadth of the river banks, and the Waikato chiefs, independently of the sacred feeling with which they view their native stream, are also afraid that if they allow Auckland Natives to sell their claims, they will also sell those of the Waikato chiefs with them, in the same manner as is alleged has been done with the Waikatos' property in the region of Auckland.

They also see that to separate the claims of those who wish to sell, from those of the party who wish to retain their land, is a task which they cannot carry out, and their claims are so intermixed that they could hardly do so even with the assistance of Europeans; and the only alternative they have of securing their rights is to prevent the Natives living near Auckland selling any land at all in the Waikato.

A bitter quarrel is gradually rising between these two parties, and, unless carefully guarded against, may end in an appeal to arms. I would recommend that no further attempt be made to obtain possession of the lands in question through the influence of the parties who have sold, but that fresh negotiations be entered into with the Waikato chiefs at Waikato, as anything emanating from Auckland will not be listened to for a moment, and the parties who have now sold and failed to give possession can be excluded from the new arrangement. The Waikato chiefs do not value so much the lands which have been partially sold, but giving them up involves a principle which will decide the right of the men of the coast to Waerenga, a valuable tract of country between the Waikato and the Thames. After our public meeting, which was rather noisy, I had several friendly interviews with the opposition, and learnt from them that, if an officer was stationed in the Waikato to negotiate for land, a satisfactory adjustment might be come to, and that, if the proposals of sale originated with themselves, they would not be so averse. They also informed me that they did not wish to prevent the sales at Whaingaroa and the West Coast but merely those, in the central parts of Waikato and along the river banks.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Land Commissioner, &c.

* Mataheka, Rangitoea, Parekakariki

Extract from Report, dated 14th June, 1853.

"Having performed the foregoing part of my instructions, I next proceeded up the Waikato with Haimona Paetae and others to mark the boundaries of the land lately sold by him and the chief Wetere, known as Mataheka; on arrival there, we found that a feast had just taken place at Whangamarino, at which a large number of the Waikato natives were present, under their chief Te Wharepu, and fierce discussions have occurred relative to the dispute among them about Waerenga, a larger tract of country extending from the Waikare lake to the Thames.

page 349

The chiefs had at this meeting unanimously agreed to lay a tapu on this district, extending from the Mangatawhiri on the west to the frith of the Thames for the purpose of preventing any individual members of the tribes selling any portion of this country as they think that individual members make unjust claims to lands for the purpose of obtaining them for sale. They assembled to meet us to the number of two or three hundred men, and appeared very firm to their purpose so much so, that I think any attempt at present to acquire this tract would not be attended with success, and only tend to foment their quarrels among themselves, which are now assuming a serious aspect."

No. 6.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Land Commissioner.

Tirikohua.Respecting the Survey of that Blocks. Auckland, 18th June, 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report that I have returned from Waikato, where I had gone to quiet the opposition raised by some Natives to the survey of the Tirikohua Block, which was finally purchased by Mr. Ligar, through my agency, in the year 1853.

Two parties of Natives have now arisen, claiming compensation for having been overlooked in the payment made in 1853, although they both were represented at the final meeting by their relatives respectively, by whose joint hands the money was actually received, after having been paid in the manner they wished.

Haimona, of Tuhi Mata, and Ruka, a Native of Waikato, claiming one portion of the block about the centre; and Pikiho, the eastern side next Pokeno. The latter party having expressed themselves ready to come to any decision the former agreed to, my negotiations were carried on with them.

Several schemes were suggested and sought to be worked out, by which a sum of money could be obtained without the bad precedent of having to pay for the land in question for the third time. At length, on Thursday evening, while on the spot, an arrangement was made by which the Natives generally who sold the land agreed to give up a small portion—about 200 or 300 acres adjoining; and in lieu of which £30 was to be paid to Haimona and £30 to Pikiho.

Assuming that these arrangements would be definitely carried out, the surveyor was cutting the lines and the survey actively progressing on Friday, when I left the spot on my return homewards. That evening we slept at Tuhimata (Haimona's place), when, to my astonishment, this man pretended not to understand that any arrangement had been come to the previous evening, and said that without a further sum he could not satisfy the claims of his friend Ruka. That even this should not be an obstacle to the final settlement of this vexatious question, I gave in a further sum of £30 for Ruka, making in all a sum of £100, an equal amount to the share of their hapu at the former purchase; and after much discussion this point was finally carried, and I congratulated myself on the matter being settled.

I was, however, followed by Haimona on the road home, when a further sum of £50 was demanded, accompanied with a threat of molesting the survey party and sending them back to town.

Having no guarantee that this demand, if conceded, would not be treated in the same way, I decided on telling these Natives that the fairest terms had been offered them, and that if they committed any act of violence the law would be carried out. One of these Natives, named Piripi Toaika, is involved in inextricable pecuniary difficulties, and as a last resource of obtaining money is endeavouring to procure these sums by intimidation; and as having been the agent appointed to transact the sale formerly, his conduct is particularly base in this latter transaction.

Having done all in my power, I would recommend no farther concession, but that a firm passive resistance be made to these unrighteous demands for money on the part of the Natives, quite out of proportion to any amount they would have been entitled to at the former division had they been present, or else the Government must be prepared to see similar claims set up over the whole of the outlying blocks in the province.

I would now finally suggest that a kind letter be written to Haimona, requesting him, conjointly with Ruka and Pikiho, to come to town and endeavour to settle their differences with Mr. McLean; and that, with a view to impress the Native mind with an idea of the possible result of any outrage on the survey party, I would recommend a firm letter being sent out by the hands of a policeman to Piripi Toaika, warning him that if any of the former sellers are so base and dishonorable as to molest the survey party, the law will be carried out against them. In the meantime the survey is rapidly going forward, and I hope that the declaration of the Natives will turn out to be mere threats, as I have good reason to believe they are.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Land Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Chief Commissioner.

No. 7.
W. N. Searancke, Esq., Government Surveyor, to the Chief Commissioner.

Ramarama.Reporting on disputed Boundary of that Block. Auckland, 6th July, 1857.

Sir,—

In obedience to the instructions contained in your letter of the 27th ultimo, respecting the disputed boundary of the Ramarama Block, I have the honor to report that, when the Ramarama Block was purchased, Mr. Interpreter Meurant was sent, and, in company with the Native resident at Pokeno and Ihumatao, traversed the boundary, marking trees at intervals of about a mile. The boundary line as cut by Mr. Ormsby, and afterwards extended by Mr. Montgomery, is in accordance page 350 with these marks. Previously, however, to their cutting this line Mr. District Commissioner Jonnson was sent by the Surveyor-General (1853) to arrange a dispute at the north extremity of this boundary; the arrangement then made by Mr. District Commissioner Johnson with the Natives appears to be very indefinite, they, the Natives, asserting that the extension of the boundary 3° East extended only to the range, then carried along the range till it reached the boundary as first arranged, and not by any means influencing that portion of the block south of the Kumi Kumi.

Mr. Johnson, on the other hand, appears to have assumed that the 3° extension to the East for which he paid the Natives Ten pounds (£10), extended the whole length of the boundary from Taurangaihi to Mangatawhiri Creek, as he does not mention any names on this boundary as amended, or made any defined marks and as his boundary (if allowed by the Natives to be extended the whole length) would include their settlement and plantations, and upwards of three thousand (3,000) acres of land, I am compelled to come to the conclusion that he must have misunderstood the Natives, the more so that they show the boundary marks of Mr. District Commissioner Johnson's extension East to its junction with the original boundary at the Kumi Kumi. I therefore proposed that the boundary should be taken and amended as per accompanying sketch, so as to prevent any future disputes on the subject. They acceded to this, demanding the sum of Three hundred pounds (£300), which was afterwards reduced to Two hundred pounds (£200); and this sum I have the honor to recommend should be paid to them. The extent of the land gained is about fourteen hundred (1400) acres, including the frontage to the road (Mangatawhiri) for nearly eight miles, explained in accompanying sketch.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke,
Government Surveyor.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Chief Commissioner, Auckland.

No. 8.
W. N. Searancke, Esq., to the Chief Commissioner.

Ramarama.Reporting Settlement of disputed Boundary. Mangatawhiri, 25th July, 1857.

Sir,

In compliance with your instructions of the 23rd ultimo, on which I had the honor to report, and instructions since received from the Hon. the Colonial Treasurer, together with the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200), I have the honor to report as follows:—That on my former visit, the Pokeno Natives, owners of the land on the Ramarama boundary, agreed to accept of Two hundred pounds (£200) as full payment for the land (marked on plan). There were some natives absent whose consent at the time I was unable to obtain. They have on my reopening the negotiation thrown difficulties in my way, which I have succeeded in overcoming by payment of the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200), and a further sum promised of Ten pounds (£10) on my return to Auckland. I trust that, though I have exceeded the sum previously agreed upon, the excess of Ten pounds (£10) will be excused, considering the importance of having a proper settlement of this boundary, by which the frontage to the Mangatawhiri road is secured. I have the honor to forward the deed and sketch of the boundary as arranged by me.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searanoke.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Chief Commissioner, Auckland.

No. 9.
The Chief Commissioner to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mangatawhiri.-Respecting Purchase of Lands and Roads at Ramarama. Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 10th August, 1857.

Sir,

I have the honor herewith to transmit for record in your office the original deed, with translation, for a piece of land, in extension of the formerly-purchased Ramarama Block, situated near Mangatawhiri in the Waikato District, including a portion of the public road leading from Auckland to Rangiawhia, and acquired from the Natives for the sum of Two Hundred and Ten pounds (£210); a receipt for Two hundred pound (£200) of which sum is borne upon the back of the deed.

Having already referred to the causes which led Mr. Searancke to exceed the sum allowed for this purpose, I have now the honor to request a receipt for the deed in the usual form.

I have, &c.,

Thomas H. Smith,
For Chief Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

No. 10.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Mangatawhiri.Right-of-way, &c., on Great South Road purchased. Auckland, 16th May, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith a receipt for two pounds, which has been paid to Hami of Pokeno, near Mangatawhiri, for a right of road and a small strip of land, situated on the Great South Road from Auckland to Mangatawhiri.

I have, &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner.
page 351

No. 11.
The Resident Magistrate, Waipa, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Waikato.Native Lands being sold or leased to Europeans. Whatawhata, 22nd May, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report for your information that a large number of the Natives in my district are leasing and selling land to Europeans without the least reference to the Government whatever.

A block of valuable land has been bought at Tamahere by an officer of the Militia Regiment at Hamilton, and Mr. G. G. has leased an adjacent block at a ridiculously low rental. His son, I believe, was the surveyor of that district, and being instructed to make a reserve for the Natives, reserved the block I refer to, and immediately leased it. I cannot refrain from saying that if this indiscriminate sale and lease is permitted, it must end in the utter ruin of the Maoris.

I saw, accidentally, a letter from William Thompson to Raihi, appointing the latter his agent for the sale or lease of the land I referred to as purchased.

I have written to Mr. Fenton on the subject, but as yet have received no answer. A curious case has recently come under my notice. Two Natives, playing at cards, decided that certain quantities of land should be the stake. Accordingly one Native lost some 600 acres, but as his only possession consisted in a block allotted to the Militia the winner asked for a summons for the value of the land he had thus won! I quote this as one of many similar cases.

I have, &c.,

R. C. Mainwaring, R.M.

The Hon. the Native Minister.