Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner

No. 8.
Mr. Preece to the Chief Commissioner.

General.—Acknowledging Receipt of various Letters. Stapleton, Coromandel, October 26th, 1857.

Sir,—

1.I have the honor to acknowledge receipt of your letters and despatches of following dates: —October 6th, with its enclosures; October 12th, with its enclosures; October 14th, No. 229; October 14th, No. 230; October 14th, No. 231; also three dated October 15th, with stationery, copy of deeds, and money for the purchase of land belonging to the Patukirikiri tribe, One hundred and twenty pounds (£120).page 303
2.I am thankful to be able to state that I have completed the purchase of the whole island and all other claims of the Patukirikiri tribe on the mainland as far as Kapanga Creek. I have paid them the One hundred and twenty pounds (£120), and by this opportunity I forward the deeds drawn out on the sheet of parchment which had the plan on it. To prevent any mistake about the island in future, I have inserted its proper Native name in the deed, which is "Te Poroporo." Whanganui is neither the name of the island nor yet that of any place on the island, but that of the creek which is the boundary of Keven's land on the side next to the gold diggings.
3.With a view to prevent any mistake in future about the land now purchased, I will supply the Natives with a copy of the deed now sent with a plan on the back of the same.
4.In your letter of October 14th, No. 230, you state tkat Karaitiana had make a request that a small payment should be made to Paora Te Putu for some old claim; I fully agree with you that it would be a dangerous precedent to do so, but as Paora is a large land holder, and is the owner of land that it is very desirable should be purchased for the Government because it is the richest gold land in this district, I would therefore beg leave to suggest the propriety of making him a present from the Government, letting him clearly understand that it was in no way to be considered as given for payment for his claim, as all right to that had been paid for long ago. He has hitherto been opposed to sell land to Government, his determination has had its effect in preventing others from offering land for sale; he is, I believe, not very unwilling at the present time to sell. I believe him to be a very upright, worthy man.
5.I herewith enclose a copy of a letter which I received from Maihi, a chief of Ngatiwhanaunga, offering some portions of land for sale. One portion is situated near to the present gold diggings at Waiau, and is, I believe, a most available portion as a gold field. Should that be purchased with the adjacent lands of Kitahi arid. W. B. Moore's, as recommended by me in my letter of October 5th, it would at once give to this province a good and available gold field. All the principal claimants are desirous of selling, but this is a portion of the tribe who strenuously oppose the sale of any land; the cause of which is that the Government had never given them any payment for their part of the island of Motunau. Their claim to compensation I consider to differ materially from that mentioned in the last paragraph. Paora did not put forth any claim for many years after the land had been sold, but this party arrived in Auckland on the evening of the day that the island was paid for; on the next day they put in their claim, and they have constantly from that time continued to make a demand for payment, but nothing has as yet been given to them, although their claim extends over a large portion of the island. I would therefore beg leave to suggest that something be done in this case, and that a sum be given as a bonus without in any way opening the question of their claim. I am quite sure that they would be satisfied with such an arrangement, and all difficulty would be removed.
6.In your letter of October 6th, you requested me to go to the Mercury Island as soon as possible to arrange the claims of the different parties. Rawiri and his party are perhaps in great haste to settle their claims before other parties put in their claims also. I think that it will be better for all parties to be present at one time, I have therefore communicated with each party that has any claim, and am quite ready to go as soon as each party can accompany me there.
7.You say in your letter of October 14th, No. 231, that you wish me, now purchasing has commenced, to carry it on vigorously, consistent with due regard to the interests of the Natives and their various claims. This I am prepared to do as far as I can. I have clearly pointed out what I consider the great hindrance to the sale of land at present; should these obstacles be removed I am of opinion that plenty of land will gradually be offered for sale; I am also of opinion that it would be prudent not to make any advance of money to the Natives on lands until the claims of the parties applying have been fully established.
8.In your letter of October 15th, No. 226, you enclosed a letter from Ahurei requesting an advance of Fifty pounds (£50) on some lands near to Cape Colville; he has been with me and I find, after making due inquiries both from himself and others, that his right to the land proposed by him to sell is disputed by Natives of another tribe. I think that no advance should be made on that land until the contending parties have come to some mutual agreement.
9.I have the honor to acknowledge receipt of your letter dated October 21st, No. 235, accompanying the maps. They came to hand alter I had written the above.

I have, &c.,

James Preece.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner, Auckland.